Opinion on the game after having played it

Discussion about GSC's new prequel of stalker

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Opinion on the game after having played it

Postby super-panda » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:32 pm

I am considering buying clear sky, as I really liked stalker-shadow of chernobyl. The biggest problems of the game were for me the technical glitches, and the fact that the artificial intelligence, while exellent, is not really helpfull most of the time.

So, I was wondering, for players WHO BOUGHT IT, and played it for a moment, is it worth what it cost? What are the improvements compared to the previous game? I am asking it as priboi story really improved the game in the way I would have loved to play it, so I think suggestions from priboi story players will be closer to how I like to play.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm

clear sky is worth buying even though there are bugs and random ctds the new patches took out some but not all it would be great if dez and the team could bring out a mod for it as brilliant as priboi i live in hope :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby gubr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Great game... but it disappointed me so much with its final. desperately crying
samurai without a sword is alike to one with a sword but without a sword
gubr
I-project

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm

I have yet to see what is the thing with the game...Cause it finally arrived today!
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:50 am

My very first impression - and I've only just got to Yantar - was of near total confusion.

You get a task. Before you can get there you've been given another three tasks, two of which and the first one are cancelled. Then the first one comes back, accompanied by three or four more, which cancel and re-engage randomly it seems.

You spend a lot of time running your ass off trying to get to tasks which are always at least twice as far away as you can run, and to get there in time you have to run all the way.

I found myself backing out of places because there were bandits there. Then I discovered that you can actually go and talk to them - some of them anyway. That seemed just downright wrong to me. So I shot a few of them to make them all my enemy and I felt much more at home.

But you have to be careful with that. The Bandit mechanic is apparently the only one who can upgrade a SEVA, so if you make them enemies you can't make the SEVA into a supersuit. And they upgrade other star items.

I'm unpatched at the moment. Lots of CTDs for what seems to be no apparent reason. But the main pain in the arse is that important characters vanish at random and you have to save and reload to get them to appear where they should be.

I went back to Cordon from Dark Valley once, and there was NO-ONE in the entire map except me.

I recall the wonder of coming out of Sid's place into the Zone for the first time. That wonder, awe even, stuck with me right through the game. Clear Sky didn't have that. Annoyance seems to have been installed instead.

Still, it is interesting enough for me to keep going - plus it cost me £30 and I intend to get at least my money's worth out of it.

Roll on a few decent mods and bug-fixes.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:45 am

theres more dissapointment to come yet red believe me :cry:
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby super-panda » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Can you try to be a bit more precise, please?

The response from Red Schuhart is the closer as I would like. He clearly says what is good or not compared to stalker shadow of chernobyl. I would also like to know if the problems I have mentionned have been optimised or not.

And don't give your opinion if you haven't played clear sky! I wrote it on the title, can't you read?

I am considering buying it, and even if it's at a reduced price, I would like to have every possible opinion before the purchase or not.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:30 pm

how precise would you like us to be? both i and red shuhart have told you our downsides of the game, i'ts not as good as SHOC and nowhere near as good as PIBOI in my opinion. my upside of the game is being able to upgrade weapons and armour and that is all,as for telling you if you should buy it or not the decision has got to be yours.
i have played the game twice now so i can form an opinion.
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:45 pm

I got stuck in Yantar. The NPCs who were supposed to lead me in a task just stood around for more than 10 hours game time and I got fed up with it.

I have now patched to 1.5.04 and added a mod community bug-fix (Eyes of a Raven's Unofficial Fix for 1.5.04.) and have had no trouble yet.

Super-Panda, buy it. But for a first try-out don't figure on going all the way to the end. Run around, do some tasks, try the suit and weapon modifications and a bit of artifact hunting. That way you'll be better equipped when you play it for 'real'.

Get to recognise some of the characters and places. The level-changers and where they are can be a bit confusing to start with. Some traders pay well for some items and poorly for others - good to know who pays most for what.

For instance, before going to Yantar make sure you have lots of ammo as Prof's prices are obscene. And he doesn't buy weapons.

A good resource for information is being put together on the ZSG site - and most contributors mark their posts if they contain spoilers.

Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:54 pm

hey red can you give the sites address thank you :wink:
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby Nite » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:38 am

- Side Missions need more time for you to get to them before failing

- Faction Wars needs to be fixed (I had trouble taking over the bandit base in the garbage due to loners never showing up to secure it)

- Game Save corruption (I got one in the garbage map a few times, but not as serious as the pripyat gamesave bug in shoc)

- your own faction completeing missions before you have a chance to get to them! (this was a big problem with the clear sky faction in the swamps, whats the point if the game AI does it for you?)

I'm sure thier is more problems, but these are the 4 I would like to be fixed
System Specs: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2GB DDR, Nvidia 320MB 8800 GTS
Nite

Postby Red Schuhart » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:34 am

The EyesofaRaven bug fix I got from the GSC site. It is on the CS forum under bugs and stuff. There are two versions - I got the 'experimental' one.

Forum link.....

http://www.gsc-game.com/

Experimental patch...

http://www.mediafire.com/?zxwmmrymjxh

Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:47 pm

thanks red shuhart and jimbyr i'll give them a go :wink:
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Next

Return to Clear Sky Discussion