25 min of gameplay!

Discussion about GSC's new prequel of stalker

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Postby Nemo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah, I think the music won't be such a pain to make it different... as for those lines in russian from vanilla... well, I loved it since I'm polish I've understood much of them and it was very environment-conviencing feature... in CS they didn't only removed it, they even changed the course of the acting so now the NPCs' accent's sounds more artificiall... :(
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby solway » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:03 pm

I too find the location of the boars etc. to be lame and, even if, as Nemo
points out, that a GPS-linked signal to a PDA is possible,or even plausible, I will be depressed if the game resorts to such tactics. Like you say too much science fiction in the wrong place becomes obvious and destroys the
illusion/balance somehow.

Even worse, the idea that they stuffed the same fireside talk and jokes into the new game-that would be unexcusable.
Nonetheless, who isn't waiting for the end of August. Do you guys think
it will come out when they say?
solway

Postby Nemo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I hope it's not finished... since the game looks more like a kickass modification of the ShoC than some completely new product, I could wait even for the end of my student's vacation (end of september) to see it really finetuned ;).
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby super-panda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Listen, I agree to say what you think but it was still a beta show, you can still send them suggestions and feedback, and try to make those points change. Even if I'm almost sure they can't, as they seek money, they will have to make games that most players love: Games that require no intelligence to be used.

As such, less exploring, less atmophere, less innovations. Well, I can still hope they will change their mind, or it was just an alpha presentation. There a lot of features that made the atmosphere who are no more here. Altough, like I sayed, mods team (like priboi story) can change their mind easier than companies, as enterprises seek profits also, and as such, must target what will please most players, and not always those who want to think while playing, just shooting everywhere.

But still, we can suppose that most features would be changed, but I don't want to have impossible dreams. I think that improving the artificial intelligence, having more relations with non playing characters, and in overall, improving the game, and the atmophere, would be good. But it seem they had to cut features in the project. For me, the russian voice acting was a HUGE thing for the atmosphere.
Last edited by super-panda on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby Nemo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Voice acting in ShoC was russian... they are different languages. And as far as I found on the net, this 25 min. of gameplay is just cosmetic changes from the end-user product's shape... so we can start our mourning because they probably won't change anything.
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby super-panda » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Corrected. For the voice acting, I didn't meant it that way. Sure that I made an error between russian and ukranian, as I don't know anything about them, I can't really make a difference, and say what is what.

What I meant, is that it was a huge thing for the atmosphere. I mean, if for example there is a video game in france, and that the non playing characters speak english, russian, chinese, while they are supposed to use french, doesn't make sense. I mean, there is alsmost none other video game that made the effort of making this localisation feature.

It's true it's a complex problem, because if they are talking in a language that you don't understand, it's a problem, so like I sayed, you should be able to hear important things with the help of another character that would translate, that the protagonist doesn't talk well and have an accent, or a mechanized tool to translate ,using subtitles etc.., but in battle, they don't want that you understand what they say, so they will talk their language. Or when they are taunting, joking,etc...

I mean, if in the game, the protagonists supposed to talk russian/ukranian, use french..it quite broke the atmosphere.

Though that feature isn't as much interesting for those who know russian, so maybe changing the protagonists into foreigners might do it. But it would require two games, so I doubt it will ever be made.

But the video really really broke my dreams, they seem to have focused on graphics and things like that.
Last edited by super-panda on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby Nemo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:59 am

Well, they didn't made this localisation effort... at least not on purpose... The game was made at the very beginning in russian language... even the config files (just latin alphabet, but language is something like russenglish :P) For instance: The 'Guide' character has comment or class or something like that which looks like that: "Provodnik". So then, after they've finished it, they have just recorded few lines, and rewrote few texts in other languages such as english, french, ukrainian, polish, german and so on...

I'm just pretty sure that they are proud of themselves for making the game more localised for each local version.... (less russian)

And in matter of broken dreams... well, I think that it would be too damn beautiful to have a brilliant game, and then a brilliant prequel/sequel... :S
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby Gr1ph00n » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Ppl,
31 days untill CS release

http://priboi-story.extra.hu/cs_rel.swf
dez0wave developer
Gr1ph00n
dez0wave developer

Previous

Return to Clear Sky Discussion