Books hobby club

Bla-bla-bla-bla-lalal :)

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Books hobby club

Postby gubr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Sorry to spam in Offtopic for inappropriate things ))) but I got the book for you, Mr. Schuhart. As you do not respond on my PM I thought that probably they missed your pm-box.

The book is issued in 1989. There is no # of issue unfortunately but there is ISBN or something. The book contents two stories: Dead mountaineer's Inn, Roadside picnic. This Saturday I will be on the book market again and some guy promised me another book but also issued probably in 1989-1990. Anyhow I will buy another one and will inform you about year of issue. I bought one already and will buy next one also and if you will not want it I will present it to somebody else! )))

I would appreciate if you gave me your e-box in order for me to send you few scans of the book I have already if you are interested! )

PS Nemo, no offence! )
samurai without a sword is alike to one with a sword but without a sword
gubr
I-project

Postby dez » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:01 pm

sounds good, im looking for faximile versions of old codex-es or old books, but in hungary, its not possible to find any :S or i dont know where to look...
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Nemo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Gubr, you're not spamming so I'll try to prevent Panda from cutting your hands off :P
As for e-mails, check the bottom part of any post of Red's. There is a small button, saying "EMAIL". Try it ;P
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 pm

dezodor wrote:sounds good, im looking for faximile versions of old codex-es or old books, but in hungary, its not possible to find any :S or i dont know where to look...

What means codex-es books? If they are in Russian I can try to help with it.

Nemo wrote:Gubr, you're not spamming so I'll try to prevent Panda from cutting your hands off :P
As for e-mails, check the bottom part of any post of Red's. There is a small button, saying "EMAIL". Try it ;P

I checked - he did not enter it so there is no such button in his posts as well as in his profile. ) Do not touch Panda - there should be balance in this world! ))) We perfectly complete each other - I'm from white and warm and puffy side of the Power and he is from dark and cold and nailly side. Am I write, Super-Panda? )))
gubr
I-project

Postby Nemo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Well, I just wanted to preserve this delicate balance ;).
And as for Red's e-mail, well, he signed it in because it's needed, but he checked the box with "no" for getting e-mails from forum members... so you were right, you need him to give it to you...
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby super-panda » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:43 pm

corrected.
Last edited by super-panda on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby Nemo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:05 am

Hah, I think that in this case there is no mr Gubr and mr Red Schuhart... There are mr Kirill M. and mr English gentleman, and one made a favour to another, which will be paid off in some decent currency... This is something like gubr said somewhere in 'hardware':
Gubr wrote:I know what do you feel when you want something and can afford it but IT is not available at the moment in stores!
and btw, Panda, let ppl mind their own buisnesses...
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:37 am

super-panda wrote:Altough, I was wondering something: do you have money to throw by the windows, gubr? I mean sending books to foreign country is not really free, you know, beside, you also bought it. I wonder what is thinking mr Red Schuhart about all this generosity.

I do not throw money in windows! I would never buy Windows as we have it here cracked everywhere! ))))

The book costed me 2,16 USD and to send it by common post will cost not more I suppose. I do not mind to make this kind of gift to Mr. Schuhart as I appreciate indeed his passion for books and moreover his wish to have in his collection a book of USSR Science Fiction Authors who I respect a lot.
gubr
I-project

Postby Nemo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:41 pm

wow, that's really not much... for 2,16 USD in Poland you could buy one good beer :) (and not everywhere too)...
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Well the book is not new, it is 1989 year of issue! ) New books cost around 4-6 USD! )

Nemo wrote:wow, that's really not much... for 2,16 USD in Poland you could buy one good beer :) (and not everywhere too)...
gubr
I-project

Postby Nemo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Hey, Gubr, does books are only thing which is still so cheap in UA? :DDD
(If flats, food, alcohol and internet services are aswell then I'm going to move there ;) )
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Nemo wrote:Hey, Gubr, does books are only thing which is still so cheap in UA? :DDD
(If flats, food, alcohol and internet services are aswell then I'm going to move there ;) )

1) flat - 48 M^2 (with two rooms, kitchen, wc) and small balcony - 60'000 USD
2) bread - one ... bread I suppose is about 0,3 USD; 1 L of milk - 1 USD
3) beer - 1 bottle 0,5 L - from 0,4 USD (Carlsberg 0,5 - 1 USD, Warschteiner 0,5 - 4 USD), vodka (good) - from 2 USD, very good vodka (to drink for image) - from 10 USD
4) internet - unlimited with speed 1024 - 20 USD/month

))) Hardly waiting for you! )))
gubr
I-project

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:15 am

That really is a bit spooky.

I picked 'Red Schuhart' as an ID. But we also have gubr, who is really 'Kirill' - the name of the scientist whose death haunts Red Schuhart so much in the novel.

Gubr, stay well away from silvery spider webs! It just isn't worth it for that full 'empty'.

I have replied via the PM system. Now I'll go and alter my profile so that my email is accessible - I didn't know I'd blocked it.

I'd forgotten that you are in Ukraine. Are you far from Pripyat?

You know, I'd bet there's at least one copy of 'Roadside Picnic' lying around somewhere in Pripyat right now. And you wouldn't need a bedside lamp to read it by at night - it would glow.

I'm not encouraging you to go book-hunting in Pripyat, by the way. :wink:

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:34 am

Dezodor, what sort of 'codex' did you have in mind? You obviously mean ancient, pre-printing items.

Or did you mean 'illuminated manuscripts'?

What subject? Most books of that age are religious items. Though there are some, usually called 'codexes', that deal with alchemy and early science, as well as treatises on various forms of 'magick'.

The original tomes themselves would be inordinately expensive, some running to millions of U.S. dollars, others not for sale at any price.

But access to those documents can often be found on the internet. Usually it is an institution or organisation that owns such things - universities, libraries and museums. Most of them have their own websites and will have detailed scans of important books.

If you are REALLY interested I can put you in touch with a chap in the U.S. who is a top level dealer of such antiquities. He is very friendly, very helpful and extemely knowlegeable on the subject. As I understand it, he sustains his millionaire income level with about 6 sales per year!

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby dez » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:03 am

well mostly im collecting real old books, from 18th and 19th century.... but i only have 6-7. old bible, and some old history books. however im interested in old manuscripts, codex replicas, and any other old replicas/remakes antique stuff :)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Next

Return to Offtopic