Christmas is here

Bla-bla-bla-bla-lalal :)

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Christmas is here

Postby dez » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 pm

just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and good luck and happyness in the next year :)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Re: Christmas is here

Postby jwknaggs » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:31 pm

thank you dez and the same to you my friend :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby Bobandy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:57 pm

dezodor wrote:just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and good luck and happyness in the next year :)

Thanks! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!
Bobandy

Postby -bg- » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 pm

dezodor wrote:just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and good luck and happyness in the next year :)

A little late but warm Merry Christmas to all of you guys. A special BUEK to you, dez :) (it's a short for "Happy New Year" in Hungary)
To the rest of you: Happy New Year :)
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:00 am

All of those odd pagan praises to all - if that is what you need.

My sincerest wishes go to the productive success of the current project.

Happy new '8760 hour period' designated 2010.

Be well.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby -bg- » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Red Schuhart wrote:Happy new '8760 hour period' designated 2010.

Error, drone :)
It's 8765.81277, to be exact. Or 8765 hours, 48 minutes and 36 seconds. Or 31536000 secs, if you prefer unix timestamps.
Why are you using in a digital based world like WWW astronomical related measures of time anyway? It should be units based on some power of 2 and expressed in hexadecimal numbers.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:44 pm

As the shiny new 2010 is not a leap year it has the basic 365 days of 24 hours each. That makes 8760.

Those odd few extra hours you refer to will be accounted for in 2012 when the 'year' will equal 8784 hours.

No doubt we will actually live through those 8765.81277 hours before we hit another 31st December midnight, but the accountants will not acknowledge those additional few until 2012.

I did consider using more involved calculations and more exact figures, but that would have meant vectoring in the effect of the several cans of Guinness I'd consumed, and I'm not sure what sort of math to use on that.

I'm not sure it is even possible to get a truly exact figure. Does that 8765.81277 take into account the minute time-dilation effect of the Earth's movement along its orbit, and that of the Sun in its orbit of the galaxy, and the movement of the galaxy itself in the local group, and so on?

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:47 pm

wow this is all beyond me guys,i'm just a retired truck driver :D all the best for 2010 to the both of you no matter how many hours there is in it :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby -bg- » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm

If we approach from the astronomical side, there's no such thing as a "leap-year". It's just the correction of the false time-measuring method, qe?

Red Schuhart wrote:I did consider using more involved calculations and more exact figures, but that would have meant vectoring in the effect of the several cans of Guinness I'd consumed, and I'm not sure what sort of math to use on that.
I'm not sure it is even possible to get a truly exact figure. Does that 8765.81277 take into account the minute time-dilation effect of the Earth's movement along its orbit, and that of the Sun in its orbit of the galaxy, and the movement of the galaxy itself in the local group, and so on?

The "beauty" of relativity. Since I'm filled with wine, I can answer that easily. Choosing celestial bodies' properties to measure time can't be good for the reasons you mentioned. So we should choose as a starting point something more constant. For example an atom's vibration frequency at a given temperature. As far as I know it's pretty much the same everywhere in the universe. Wait, I think "second" is already defined by something like this. Standby...
"Since 1967, the second has been defined to be the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom"
Clearly, this isn't solve the day-night and the year problem. We should dump those made-out units like day, month, year, and using seconds only. Kiloseconds, megaseconds maybe ) Uhh, that would be fun )
There's a guy who made a uniq calendar to his site, the starting date is 0, the date he started the site (2001). Pretty clever, actually. Quote from the site:
Code: Select all
"The universal number of conversion: eighth power of 2 = 256 (dec) = 100 (hex)
So the days of year:
01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, etc. up to 100 that is 00 - where year increases by one.
(We're open to discuss the possibility naming one or another day after the great characters of infomration tehcnology, like Shannon, Neumann, etc. - excluding Bill Gates and other great sharks!)

Basic unit: tick (= 1.318359375 sec in old conventional system)

The system of units arranged according to size: year - day - beat - tick"

The current SLP date is: 0C.17.f0
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby -bg- » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:01 pm

jwknaggs wrote:wow this is all beyond me guys,i'm just a retired truck driver :D all the best for 2010 to the both of you no matter how many hours there is in it :wink:

Probably you're right. It's just wasting of time.
But how many? And how we should measure it?? :D
To stay on the safe side: All the best to you too for the next Earth orbiting around the Sun :)
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby dez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:10 pm

omg. im too drunk now to understand these :DD
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Offtopic