Interview with Oleg Javorsky @ KRI2009

Discussion about the new sequel to Stalker.

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Interview with Oleg Javorsky @ KRI2009

Postby dez » Thu May 21, 2009 3:03 am

Game World Navigator's interview with Oleg Yavorsky at KRI 2009, with gameplay footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxqVA11rZU0&fmt=18

Speaking about gameplay in general, we expect it to take about seven hours to pass the main storyline and, maybe, twenty-twenty-five hours for free gameplay. In addition, I can tell you that after the game ends, there will be the possibility of remaining there. Not end the game, but continue in free-play mode.

There will be a minimum of underground locations. That is, you will mainly run around over the motherland. There will be a kind of caves, some underground mini-levels, but it will make up, maybe, five percent.

Anomaly locations will change somewhat after blowouts. Also, artifacts will regenerate, since our good NPCs will go around in squads and collect them. That is, the player will compete with stalkers in who collects more artifacts. We changed all the monsters a bit. That is, we tried to make combat against them more interesting than it was previously. All monsters will become more mobile, more diverse in their behaviour, their habits. For instance, chimera, fairly harmless during the day, will become quite challenging to fight at night, when all monsters activate. Therefore, every monster has to be seen, understood, studied to find an effective measure against.

The main difference of quests in Call of Pripyat will be in that they no longer regenerate automatically, as they have been previously. They are crafted by designers in advance. This makes each scene unique, makes it more presentable and interesting for the player. For instance, there could be a quest to... [you will find out what kind of quest there could be in the June issue of "Game World Navigator"]

-source: gsc gameworld forums | translated by Don Reba-
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Re: Interview with Oleg Javorsky @ KRI2009

Postby Red Schuhart » Thu May 21, 2009 5:24 am

Wonder if we'll finally get the 'catacombs' from CS. When I reached the part where you enter the catacombs I was very interested in what was apparently about to happen. What a disappointment when the next level loads and there's no underground, no new and creepy area to explore, just 'shoot Strelok' while the game keeps jerking you around with cutscenes.

Dunno about studying and understanding each monster to find an effective measure. I find bullets to be a very effective measure against any of them.

Hopefully the freeplay will have some point. In CS it is almost pointless having freeplay as, apart from the odd mutant, just about every map is dead quiet once you've been there in the storyline - Yantar in particular. Once the zombie-shooting bit is done there is nothing at all, not even the odd mutant.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Re: Interview with Oleg Javorsky @ KRI2009

Postby dez » Thu May 21, 2009 5:56 am

as i saw from the screens, we will get a new pda global map, again, or they found some place to place those maps, who knows. according to the reports, there wont be much ug levels, and i feel they wont add pripyat ug "back" but hope dies last, and i think they can make surprises. there will be underground areas, but we will need to wait until autumn. i hope they wont spoil the 3 new maps totally.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Call of Pripyat Discussion