CoP Impressions - some spoilers

Discussion about the new sequel to Stalker.

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

CoP Impressions - some spoilers

Postby -bg- » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:09 pm

I've managed to work the pirated version of the game. Don't say anything, I'm gonna buy it when it's out, I just can't wait for it. Besides, the pirated versions runs better. I bought the previous stalkers, still, I'm using the pirated versions.

The game is full russian. Some guys has made an early translate mod for it with google translate. Not always easy, but usable.
In short: I like it. The first impression was "it's so cheap". There's some movies at the beginning and at the end - Priboi style. Plain pictures narrated (in russian), no fancy 3d renders. The funny thing is I like it more this way.
There's some in-game movies too, made with the game engine. Literally. A funny bug appeared during such a movie. I'm finished a task, I saw some dogs around, but I was thinking I'm finishing a job, and then taking care of them. Well, I did the job, the movie started, and I had to see myself raped by the dogs, with some russian narration about the finished task :)
The gameplay is very-very Priboi style. Feels much more free. There's some "go there, pick up that" tasks, but a lots of the tasks is just "do something, I don't care how". For example, one of the tasks needs you to make a team of stalkers, and to get an armor with closed breathing system. You don't know where to find guys who are willing to go with you, neither where to find a proper suit. So it's fun.
The Zone seems more hostile BTW. Can't tell you why is that, no new enemies, no more of them then before... I just feel this way.
The weapons crapping out a little bit too easy in my taste. And hard to find the tools for upgrades. Good thing is that military guys repairing them for free.
I'm finished the main story yesterday after some 6-8 hours. I've missed a lot of fun, but now I'm gonna make them up in the freeplay :)

Almost forgot an important thing: not a single crash so far!
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
-bg-
Site Admin

Re: CoP Impressions - some spoilers

Postby Beatrice » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 am

Sounds interesting. How would you say it matches up to the other two?
Seems have stuck with the more vanilla (and even pre-vanilla) STALKER ideas.

Are the new environments good? Still have the nice atmosphere?

Is there much to do in freeplay afterwords?

Cheers
Beatrice

Postby -bg- » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Beatrice wrote:How would you say it matches up to the other two?

I would say yes. The least I can say is that "it matches up". It beats CS for sure with the freer storyline.

Beatrice wrote: Seems have stuck with the more vanilla (and even pre-vanilla) STALKER ideas

I want LA too :) But CoP will do till then.

Beatrice wrote:Are the new environments good? Still have the nice atmosphere?

Beautiful. The sky have multiply layers of clouds, the lights, the shadows are unbeliavable, the DX10 water is still nice (there's a place in Creek, the Swamps... anomalies over the water... uhh, really nice)... rain, lightning, storms... you name it. Everything is beautiful. But you'r gonna need a strong VGA to enjoy it. And the engine is still unable to use all the CPU cores, so prepare yourself for some lag from time to time.

Beatrice wrote:Is there much to do in freeplay afterwords?

Dunno yet, I just played around an hour yet. But bandits attacked the safe place whilst I was shopping... so I hope so :)

In short: I would say, GSC guys took the right direction this time.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 am

The real question is: just how much of Priboi did they nick?

And is Priboi a better storyline?

If you feel that PS is the progenitor of CoP and that the original beats the newcomer black, blue and out of sight say so.

If not, best keep your opinions to yourself.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby -bg- » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:42 pm

As I said (clearly) CoP have some PB style gameplay. It's just a feeling, but a strong one.
And I don't want to say that the original beats anything - I loved Priboi, and I love CoP. If you can't tolerate this... well, you're the bored moderator, you always can ban me without reason.
You know I was happy to see that CoP is have something from Proboi and I thought people here will also be happy. I's some kind of a tribute as I see. ANd now you giving me this "keep your opinions to yourself" sht. What's your problem?
Last edited by -bg- on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm

' ANd now you giving me this "keep your opinions to yourself" sht. What's your problem?'

Nought but simple manners, old chap. And it is only good manners to tell Dez and co. that their's is best when doing it on their site.

Moderators don't ban without reason. Not on this forum, anyway.

I am a defensive poster, so you will never find an out-and-out person-to-person attack in one of my posts. If you start out with the idea that whatever it says is meant in a light-hearted way you'll get me a bit better.

I don't mind reading threads like this, or watching promo videos and such. The 'spoilers' don't really matter as I'll almost certainly forget them before I get my hands on the game. But, as far as advertising goes, all I need is the statement that another episode is to be released and I'm happy to wait for it. No two people have exactly the same view of anything, so a report by one can't spoil my enjoyment (or otherwise) of the game when I first try it out.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm

well guys dez is quite happy that cop has some priboi in it,as he gave them what he had of priboi 1.2 to use as they wish.there is a special weapon to find called priboi's weapon he likes that as well.
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby jwknaggs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 am

i have also downloaded pirate ver cop,is also in full russian so dont know what tasks are. i just followed arrow on hud came upon a guy which showed gold star on hud tried to talk but not understand a word of it.carried on to some large cranes met 3 bandits friendly to me bit further 3 stalkers also friendly but beat the shit out of bandits picked up some stuff .may venture further by following the arrow.graphics are good smooth movement will deffo buy it when released here.

i appologise for the mention of (pirate ver cop) this is warez and against forum rules it will not happen again.
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby -bg- » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:58 am

jwknaggs wrote:well guys dez is quite happy that cop has some priboi in it,as he gave them what he had of priboi 1.2 to use as they wish.there is a special weapon to find called priboi's weapon he likes that as well.

Wow. I didn't know that he have such a good connection to them. That's really cool.
About the russian CoP: as I said, there's a translate mod for it. Pretty sucks sometimes, but better than the Russian...
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby jwknaggs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:54 pm

ye i got the translate mod but can't seem to get it to work :cry:
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby -bg- » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 pm

jwknaggs wrote:ye i got the translate mod but can't seem to get it to work :cry:

First you must edit your fsgame.ltx to accept custom gamedata like you would normally for any STALKER mod.

$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\

That line should look like the above. Change both to true.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby jwknaggs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:33 pm

yes iknow how to do that, but i have just opened the files i downloaded and i'ts saying there empty but thank you anyway :wink:
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby jwknaggs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 pm

having played the russian version with english trans to nearly completion,i can say in my opinion it's a game worth buying.you need to use your head aswell as the gun like in priboi,i would have liked to see priboi 1.2 to compare because i think they could be very close met.
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Return to Call of Pripyat Discussion