Artefacts in Lost Alpha?

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Artefacts in Lost Alpha?

Postby The Mureena » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm

A quick question. I was just wondering how are the new artefacts (via merger) in lost alpha? I mean e.g in oblivion lost mod some of the new ones were pretty pointless or overpowered, thus I always found myself using the same ones. Moreover will there be any modifications done to the vanilla one's stats? I find the artefacts to be a very important part of game mechanics so I wish that they are well balanced and are worth going the extra mile. One more thing. Does anyone else find it frustrating to collect all the jellyfishes and stoneflowers laying around in Agroprom?
The Mureena

Re: Artefacts in Lost Alpha?

Postby KazakHD5770 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:12 pm

I hate to see I'm everywhere on this forum and don't like to post here, but it's problem on forum - very low activity...

To business:
Yeah. Artefacts in LA have to be well balanced. In CS and CoP artefacts were cheats.
Variations of artefacts in CS and CoP:
1. Radioactive and do other good thing.
2. Antiradioactive and doing nothing else.
It's quite stupid and simple.

I suggest to even upgrade SoC's artefacts properties.

For example, moonlight and soul-like artefacts will affect to satiety (because metabolism is going faster) + do other bad things (more bleeding? Less protection?)

In best - every artefact should have one good thing, one bad (less protection to one of hit types), and one "very bad" - negative effect all the time (more hunger, less stamina, radioactivity etc.)

GSC buried interesting idea of artefact chains - when player need to use few different artefacts to neutralize bad effects of each other.
I hope in LA making chain of artifacts on belt will be real mini-game :)
KazakHD5770
dez0wave tester

Postby The Mureena » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 pm

KazakHD5770 wrote:I hope in LA making chain of artifacts on belt will be real mini-game :)

I totally agree on that. I just really hope that the artefacts are more balanced than they were in OL, although they were very cool.I always found it fun to mess around with different combinations in OL mod. Moreover in OL mod I really liked looking for the new artefacts from dead foes, the transmutation, not so much. Lastly I hated the fact that I became invinsible with three or four elder glass beads. Sure it was fun to stab all monolith to death but still... :D
The Mureena

Postby The Mureena » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I would appreciate it if some one from the dezowave team could shed some light over this aforementioned artifact topic.

P.S If you find the time for it :D
The Mureena

Postby basist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Man, how come this topic is only posted to by KazakHD5770 and The Mureena??? For sure, it's one of the pillars of the story and it should be taken care of!

First thing (I'll speak of vanilla for some time as a usual start), is really the broad availability of artifacts in SoC. Yes, Jellyfishes and Stone flowers all over Agroprom, good point!)) and only being a true munchkin I never leave them as they are - THEY ALL ARE TO BE COLLECTED!!!))).

Second is really weird prices. Even the lower artifacts should cost more than 650 Ru. I'm not even touching the real "economics" part of supply and demand - Jellyfish is probably the most common artifact in SoC but it costs the same as Droplet / Sparkler / Thorn or Slime which are a lot more rare to encounter.

Third is absolutely careless attitude of NPCs towards artifacts. Guess only mods got that corrected. If in vanilla you throw ANY artifact under an NPCs feet - he'll not pick it up.

Fourth is spawning. I guess, SoC never had artifacts spawned in anomalies except for midnight hour if you're close enough to a pile of anomalies of a kind (like Agroprom underground tunnel with Elektras). And the spawning never happened if an object got into anomaly - which was said to be the case with most of the artifacts in their descriptions!

So, accordingly - it would be great if:
- artifacts would be really something RARE to find. Again, the info on where an artifact is located should already be something valuable (given as a reward or paid for, like info from the Informer in Bar);

- price spread would also be nice to see adjusted. And / or automatically changed based on number of artifacts spawned at the moment of time. E.g., only traders would know that info and just set the prices as they wish. Or there could be a quest line related to info on how many artifacts are available - you get a task to find out this info from, say, scientists. Then you can trade this info to some other (competitor) trader and get into troubles cuz the original trader sends his henchmen after you to make you pay for treason etc.;

- NPCs should really LOOK FOR artifacts, as it was promised everywhere. They should really spend time next to clusters of anomalies, waiting for a spawn and getting them. Adding lines like "Beat it, stalker! This is our field to harvest from!" or "You can wait with us - guess there'll be enough for everybody" would really make the game more interesting!

- spawn procedure / time - a dog rushed into anom in panic? Boom! A Stone blood! A stalker panicked into it? Boom! A Soul or a Meat chunk! Or just generation of artifacts at a random time.

But, as always, good thoughts come late) guess it's up to modders and modders again)
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby The Mureena » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:51 pm

It's good to see some life here for a change.

I totally agree. Furthermore I'd like to see more discussion about the economics (mentioned above) of the game cause nowadays rpg(ish) games use such idiotic solutions in that particular aspect. e.g skyrim etc.

PS. This will be the first time ever I will actually wait for my summer holiday to end.
The Mureena

Postby KazakHD5770 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

basist, in SoC artefacts do appear after NPCs' death in anom, but probabilities are low. Did you ever saw human's bone with artefact particle? :) One time i visited "voronka" - my heroe's foot became artefact. Those bones with artefact's particles will becomes artefacts later - maybe when player re-visit level.
Also, if there is "mincer" and dogs' gulag to each other then in that area artefacts spawn more rapidly (but slowly anyway).
SoC is better than you think :D

And, please make "stamina giving" artefacts have anti-satiety effect.
KazakHD5770
dez0wave tester

Postby basist » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, I've seen human bones (most parts - chest, pelvis, hands, arms, legs, feet, skull) but never noticed the "artifact particle" u mention. And all the particles in the world won't make those bones artifacts, will they? ;) They won't make bones pickable and hangable on your belt etc.

my heroe's foot became artefact - ?

Yeah, it may be there but the speed and actual probability are too low.
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby dez » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Nah, we have many new artefacts, but we kept the origi basis, they are mostly rocks, stones, with strange shapes, and properties. You can even combine them to create new ones.

Just finished filling the maps with anomalies, have to say I added a lot of them, but only a few will spawn artefacts, for example a huge 5km2 level will have nearly 500 anomalies, but only 6 of them will spawn artefacts, and will be harder to find them. This way (I think) it will be worth to look around again, because af-s spawned like raindrops in SoC and CS, thus they were boring, and unnecessary to collect for long. This was changed in LA.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Lost Alpha