Lost Alpha - Bad Performance

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Re: Lost Alpha - Bad Performance

Postby casimir » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am

The biggest FPS boost for me was disabling sun shadows. The game looks blander but now I'm regularly getting above 40 FPS, often up to 60. Radeon 7750, medium settings, 4xAA.
casimir

Postby myntz » Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 am

The biggest FPS boost by far (with EVERYTHING on max EVERYTHING) on DX10.1 is to DISABLE GRASS SHADOWS.

Another nice touch to make the lighting A LOT more realistic is to change the default settings to these...

r2_sun_lumscale 1.1
r2_sun_lumscale_amb 2.5
r2_sun_lumscale_hemi .8

^^ please give it a shot and let me know how you feel. It has corrected the superbright sky, and extremely dark shadows, for me and i'm hoping it will for you guys too. It has resulted in an extremely realistic display of lighting and the skybox matches the brightness of the sun/gameworld
myntz

Postby RebornShadow » Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 am

r2_sun_lumscale 1.1
r2_sun_lumscale_amb 2.5
r2_sun_lumscale_hemi .8

For me, this is way too bright, but tastes differ, eh?
I'm using:
r2_sun_lumscale 0.5
r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.5
r2_sun_lumscale_hemi 1

Although I've changed a couple of other stuff aswell.

On Topic:
I don't need FPS boosts, it's running great (everything maxed, without AA or MLAA for Alpha and Grass to 80%), the problem is that it's only for 30 minutes to 1 hour. I have a constant drop in GPU usage, which means that my GPU is not working at full load like it normally should.
RebornShadow

Postby Doctor FoX » Fri May 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Since I appled community patch, DX10 performance has been really solid, only dipping below 30 at sunrise.. Most of the time 60FPS. Unfortunately when running in DX10, I am unable to record with Shadowplay or Fraps and using steam overlay often results in this error:

0023:6B8D7DA4 d3d11.dll, D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain()
0023:6B8D753C d3d11.dll, D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain()
0023:6B883E5A d3d11.dll, D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain()
0023:511B8EC4 gameoverlayrenderer.dll
0023:511DF41C gameoverlayrenderer.dll, ValveHookScreenshots()
0023:511E054D gameoverlayrenderer.dll, ValveHookScreenshots()
0023:511D081E gameoverlayrenderer.dll, OverlayHookD3D3()
0023:50D54337 xrRender_R3.dll, SupportsDX10Rendering()

[error][ 298] : Too many posts were made to a semaphore.

Anyone got any ideas?
The Zone is as rewarding as it is unforgiving, Stalker...
Veteran medic of Freedom
Doctor FoX

Postby ion » Sat May 03, 2014 6:06 pm

I was asked to post here about my bad performance in LA.

"pausing performance:"
When trying to pause the game, it hangs for roughly a minute and goes to the menu screen. Unpausing works perfectly, its' almost instant.

Saved game loading times:

I can't remember a game having this bad of loading times. I understand this is a huge game and needs to load things but the times i'm facing is quite ridiculous.

* To start a new game takes 3-4 minutes.
* Loading "quit saves" takes almost 5 minutes.
* Loading "all.sav" takes 5 minutes and sometimes much longer. about 30 minutes ago I tried loading my "all.sav" and it took 9-10 minutes. I was able to go make some lunch and come back with still time to spare.

General gameplay performance:

At 100% maxed out on vanilla I averaged 15 fps. When I lowered the grass density I'd get an average of 25-30 fps. When i finally turned off grass & sun shadows, I'd average 45-50 fps. Some areas i'd get well over 150 like in sid's bunker or general buildings.

After patch 1.300013 maxed out i get an average of 30 fps outside and about 70 fps in buildings. Slight fps boost but 30 fps is still unplayable for me. The game is rather quite dark too but i think it really adds to the atmosphere.

Specs:

* Fx8320 - Evo 212
* Ripjawz 8GB ram
* SLi GTX 660 2GB Ti
I'm also on the GSC Forums! "IonizedReactor".

My Lost Alpha Mods:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1857
ion

Postby denixprince » Sat May 03, 2014 6:44 pm

PLEASE stop talking about tweaking or other stuff! :x
The subject of this post is BAD PERFORMANCE and it was about GPU USAGE DECREASE THROUGH TIME!

Well I also have this problem currently (as I already said on moddb.com):

After starting the game and loading a save, the game runs extremely smoothly, perfectly, like 60+ FPS... BUT after a few (2 or 3) loadgames and level/zone changing loadings, the game PERFORMANCE DECREASE SIGNIFICANTLY! And if I keep playing, the framerate drops to 20 FPS!

I confirm it has nothing to do with day/night effects changes, or environment changes...NO, because I just have to save the game while it becomes unplayable with 20 FPS, and then restart it and load the exact same save, to play again with 60+ FPS... which is the most annoying problem currently.

I don't know where to look about GPU usage, but it clearly seems to be that, as people before me said.

Might be due to GPU drivers not to be optimized for this game particularly as it's recent and kinda "unofficial". :roll:
denixprince

Postby RebornShadow » Sun May 04, 2014 6:29 am

denixprince wrote:[...]
I don't know where to look about GPU usage, but it clearly seems to be that, as people before me said.
[...]

I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor all my GPU stuff.
You can use GPU-Z aswell.
RebornShadow

Postby sydes » Sun May 04, 2014 7:23 am

As i said before:
I maxed everything but:
vision range,
grass density
and aliasing i use 2x.

When i set sunshafts to low, my fps decreases after a while a bit but its acceptable,
but when i set sunshafts to high, my fps decreases to 40% GPU usage (30-40 fps) after 10-20 minutes.

So all in all im really looking forward to any good solution but as long as it takes i use this workaround.
sydes

Postby Fry » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 am

ion wrote:I was asked to post here about my bad performance in LA.

When trying to pause the game, it hangs for roughly a minute and goes to the menu screen. Unpausing works perfectly, its' almost instant.

http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1699&start=45#p8051
Fry
Adventurer

Postby ion » Sun May 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Fry wrote:
ion wrote:I was asked to post here about my bad performance in LA.

http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1699&start=45#p8051

The executive has this by default for me. thanks for letting me know though.
I'm also on the GSC Forums! "IonizedReactor".

My Lost Alpha Mods:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1857
ion

Postby Kink » Mon May 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Still no tweak for extreme performance ??? I'm sick of playing static lighting (or almost !). Are there any shader optimization mod ?

ON both of my computer, average 40% cpu, 50% gpu, and less than 1Gb of ram used, poor poor performance, can't even ativate sun rays or sun shadows...
Kink

Postby Mac35 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:13 pm

myntz wrote:The biggest FPS boost by far (with EVERYTHING on max EVERYTHING) on DX10.1 is to DISABLE GRASS SHADOWS.

Yes, grass density means very little to overall framerate as long as grass shadows effect is disabled. I wonder why grass shadows are so very GPU-heavy in Lost Alpha, in CoP the grass shadow effect is much less demanding. The game looks a bit duller/washed without grass shadows, but the effect is just too hard on the fps on anything less than high-end hardware, at least in 1440p. Hopefully Dezowave will be able to tweak these effects for better performance.
Last edited by Mac35 on Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac35

Postby Roadkill » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 pm

If you're experiencing long loadings or long wait when you press ESC, its due to "Run as admin" option.
Disable it and you will see a big difference, worked for me.
Roadkill

Postby ajal » Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 pm

As I stated before, I'm having the same issue with performance; the game starts to lag tremendously after about 20-30 mins of play, getting down to about 20 FPS, and even worse in areas like the Duty HQ, where there are a lot of NPCs. It seems like the accumulation of level and save loads might be contributing to the decrease in FPS over time. Once I quit the game back to Windows and restart it, though, the FPS goes back up to normal.

I sure hope this gets fixed with the next patch if possible, though I'm wondering if it's not a driver optimization issue.

Any one have any more input or suggestions?
ajal

Postby Celice » Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Kink wrote:Still no tweak for extreme performance ??? I'm sick of playing static lighting (or almost !). Are there any shader optimization mod ?

ON both of my computer, average 40% cpu, 50% gpu, and less than 1Gb of ram used, poor poor performance, can't even ativate sun rays or sun shadows...

No, still none I am aware of. There are two options I can see for getting the performance we are supposed to:

1) Delete the shader folder and use vanilla shaders, or use another shader compilation (dynamic shaders latest release just went into beta as an alternative). We won't have the same intended aesthetic experience as other Lost Alpha players who keep the shaders, but the new shaders seem very unoptimized across multiple builds. Going vanilla should clean up your performance greatly at the cost of some new effects.

2) Tweak the existing shaders to your likeing. Most notably, sun shafts eat up %30 of my frames when enabled. Sun shadows and sun shafts together eats up a lot, but disabling sun shadows makes the game look like static lighting. Disabling sun shafts retains the sun-lit environments and sun-cast shadowing, but removes the expensive rendering of the shafts themselves. Grass shadows and AO are also expensive rendering techniques that eat up the FPS.
Celice

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha