Interested in choice of engine (SC vs CoP)

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Interested in choice of engine (SC vs CoP)

Postby Durandle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 am

I'm downloading (so very very slowly) Lost Alpha, I'm very much looking forward to playing it. The original STALKER and CoP were two of my favourite games, dripping in atmosphere, specially once modded with various asset improvements.

I'm interested though why you stuck with the original SC engine rather than the more recent, and I assume more advanced, CoP engine? I have no doubt I will enjoy Lost Alpha whatever it uses, so don't take this as a "complaint" about the engine, I'm just interested what the SC engine brings that the CoP does not. Maybe my assumption that the newer engine is better is wrong?

What I do remember is that playing SC even on modern hardware suffered some very very annoying loading/asset-streaming issues causing horribly annoying stuttery game-play at times. I actually resorted to running the whole game off a RAM disk at one point, and it still didn't totally fix the issue! So if that issue is fixed/not there, that's a big win right off (although CoP didn't suffer this issues at all).

I also remember the maps being a lot smaller in SC, with many more loading points (breaking immersion to a degree). Is this something that has been changed in LA?
Durandle

Re: Interested in choice of engine (SC vs CoP)

Postby prava » Thu May 08, 2014 1:09 am

I think the team mentioned that they started with LA years prior to COP being released, and thus they didn't change it because they didn't think it was worth it.

The maps might not be as big as the ones in COP... but the total extension of them, together, is several times bigger than in COP.

BTW... the game is super buggy. So I'd suggest to play it ONLY if you don't have a problem crashing dozens of times in the same section of the game.
prava

Return to Lost Alpha