Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness

Postby 007vsMagua » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm

I just looked at all the posts since Lost Alpha was released and I didn't see anything about those sliders. When I first installed Lost Alpha I played with it a bit and didn't have any problems seeing in buildings when exploring Cordon or going into the factory after the bandits, but I did notice the gamma, contrast, and brightness sliders where not working.

When the new official patch was released, it was mentioned in the release notes that those sliders have been fixed, along with a bunch of other stuff. I did a complete fresh install of the game along with the official patch and Programs and Features shows I'm running v.1.3.0013.

Now, I can't see in any of the houses in Cordon without turning my flashlight on and it's the middle of the day. My gamma, contrast, and brightness sliders still are not working.
007vsMagua

Re: Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness

Postby Fry » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm

The sliders aren't working for me either but I've installed Valsorim77's advanced graphics options http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1726#p7892

And that allows you to adjust the background illumination (ie how dark/light shadows are) with sliders that do work.
Fry
Adventurer

Postby Mac35 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Those sliders don't work here either.
Mac35

Postby Kink » Tue May 06, 2014 12:45 pm

r2_tonemap_middlegray 0.50 will make the game more "clear"

also try theses :

r2_sun_lumscale 0.5
r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.5
r2_sun_lumscale_hemi 1

I had the same problem, the game was so dark that i have to use torchlight all day long !
Kink

Postby 007vsMagua » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I just figured out the game needs to be played in DX9 for those sliders to work. I guess DX10 is still waiting for a patch.
007vsMagua

Postby Mac35 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:54 pm

These values are quite good, at least with an IPS monitor and dx10 (which I use). With the default setting, just walking under a tree or into a trailer with big windows you would go from broad sunlight to absolute dark. That's not like real life. It would be preferable with less contrast for more realistic (and practical) visuals. Increasing the lumiscale_amb setting seems to help the most with making shadows less exaggerated dark, but turning the setting up too high results in a washed out image, esp. when turning off grass shadows (that setting is just too demanding for my hardware, unlike grass density which can easily be cranked up).

r2_sun_lumiscale 0.8
r2_sun_lumiscale_amb 1.5
r2_sun_lumiscale_hemi 0.6
Mac35

Return to Lost Alpha