Jump Points (ESC J) Are Really Needed

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Jump Points (ESC J) Are Really Needed

Postby bulletbelch » Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 pm

I guess figuring out which jump points to travel to and the travel to them is part of the game; but, sometimes it would be nice to use ESC J to jump someplace quickly for repairs or to buy what I need. Dedicating 50% of game play time to walking is not a good use of time.
bulletbelch
Adventurer

Re: Jump Points (ESC J) Are Really Needed

Postby 35160 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:11 pm

I'm with you on that one. I personally liked the fast travel systems in both CS and CoP, too bad they weren't integrated in LA... Maybe because of the old X-ray engine? Or maybe because it adds realism to the game?

Either way, no matter how realistic it feels, it's tedious, especially later in the game, when they throw you back and forth on different missions.

Adding Stalker Guides like in the latest installments of the game would be much appreciated!

Postby Zombiep00pZ » Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 am

this is how stalker shadow of Chernobyl worked, and please so not talk like it is tedious or boring as if you haven't played SC yet, please don't, don't ever please
thx :rolleyes:
Zombiep00pZ

Postby 35160 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:23 am

Zombiep00pZ wrote:this is how stalker shadow of Chernobyl worked, and please so not talk like it is tedious or boring as if you haven't played SC yet, please don't, don't ever please
thx :rolleyes:

^^^
Here's another reason, by the way - hardcore players who want the game to stay as close to the roots as possible and like to run back and forth 500 times from location to location or travel from NPP to Cordon by foot just to see what Sidorovich has for sale... By no means is it boring, but it gets tedious after a while.

I played both Dark Souls installments for over 400 hours cumulatively and believe me, running through the same area is my middle name, but in Dark Souls, it has it's benefits, you grind souls and collect dropped items. In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. though, you come to a certain area, search every nook and cranny (at least I do), kill everything that stands in your way and you're pretty much done.

That being said, there is a smart way of implementing fast travel, again, like in Dark Souls 2, for example - you've visited a certain area and when you lit the bonfire (sort of checkpoint), you can fast travel there through any other bonfire. Same can be done with Lost Alpha - you reach Garbage and then a Guide can take you back to Cordon and ONLY to Cordon but after you've visited the Bar you can travel back to both Garbage and Cordon, for a certain price of course.

To sum it up - I don't think adding fast travel would brake immersion in any way, it will simply add an easier option to travel the Zone. You don't want to use it? Travel by foot or use a car, no harm no foul 8)

Postby bulletbelch » Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 am

I have and have played all three STALKER games and now this one. In the Complete Version of SOC, you can use ESC J to jump from place to place.

Some people are very religious and dogmatic when it comes to games. They want everything "their way". They fail to consider that some of us have disabilities, some of us are old, and some of us are slow. Their egocentric ways may make them feel good in the now; but some day they won't be as young and healthy as they are now.

The game has a Novice level which is too fast for me because of my physical disabilities. I only play single player games; never online. So, I tweaked the settings so that I can play and enjoy the game. It's my game on my computer and I will play with my toys according to my rules.

The jump points can be made optional for the hard core fanatics.

Bullet Belcher
bulletbelch
Adventurer

Postby SerbLoner » Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Some one should do it definitely...
SerbLoner

Postby Fry » Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm

But it's been done a while now :p http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1725

Esc F2 has a teleport menu, it does teleport you right onto the transition points though, so it looks like the game hangs on the loading screen, but you just hit escape, then click cancel on the message asking you to travel to the next area.

When you compare lost alpha to say COP, COP only had 3 main areas and each of them had a bunch of side quests to take you to many different spots in the same area. I never really feel the need to fast travel in COP/Misery. But in LA, there are seemingly no/very few side quests to keep you in one area for long and the main story line sends you back and forth across vast/numerous areas. The walking does get tedious.

I do apply the Fallout style rule where you can only fast travel to areas you've been to already.
Fry
Adventurer

Postby 35160 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Fry wrote:But it's been done a while now :p http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1725

Esc F2 has a teleport menu, it does teleport you right onto the transition points though, so it looks like the game hangs on the loading screen, but you just hit escape, then click cancel on the message asking you to travel to the next area.

When you compare lost alpha to say COP, COP only had 3 main areas and each of them had a bunch of side quests to take you to many different spots in the same area. I never really feel the need to fast travel in COP/Misery. But in LA, there are seemingly no/very few side quests to keep you in one area for long and the main story line sends you back and forth across vast/numerous areas. The walking does get tedious.

I do apply the Fallout style rule where you can only fast travel to areas you've been to already.

The owner of this post might find this useful, but I was not talking about a spawner, that sounds more like a cheat then an actual game feature. As I said before, Guides is what's needed in this game, NPCs that take you to places you've already visited for a certain amount of cash, the same it worked in CS and CoP. That would be a nice way to travel without breaking immersion and won't feel like you're cheating. Unfortunately, I had to resort to a console code "demo_record" to skip some of the areas I've already plundered and I HATE doing that, since there's no fast travel option and this method is known to cause major bugs and CTDs, so use at your own risk...

Postby Fry » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Nobody said you have to use the spawn menu, the OP asked about it and that includes teleport functionality.
Fry
Adventurer

Postby VGStalker » Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Just get a free ride at X18/the railroad valley thing place.
VGStalker

Postby bulletbelch » Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 am

I think dirt bikes or mopeds to get around on would be great.
bulletbelch
Adventurer

Return to Lost Alpha