LA Story - The trenchcoated Sin Guy

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

LA Story - The trenchcoated Sin Guy

Postby sealside » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 am

This Thread may contain massive spoilers, so be cautious when you have not finished the game yet.

So i have been playing through the game recently, and you happen to meet that creepy trenchcoated guy with the red eyes whos ingame name is simply "..." over and over again. At the beginning it is just kinda odd and strange but as the game proceeds, the meetings become more scary and more question posing. From now on, to keep at a little more simple, i will just refer to that guy as the trenchcoat.

First thing i want to say here is that unfortunatelly i killed the Sin Members in the Cordon. First afterwards i learned that you can coexist with almost every red NPC and i was several dozend hours into the game when i learned that you are not supposed to kill these, so i decided to just not replay the entire thing - so i missed a good chunk of the sin quest line and may have missed key story parts regarding Sin and the trenchcoat.

First you meet the trenchcoat in the garbage when you try to approach the Sin Sniper at the tunnel; then, he kills a couple guys in the Bar and steals the decrypter; later on, you can find him in the... new yantar? where the scientists are now located? the name keeps droping out of my memory, there he stands on a building full of militarys with his hands in the sky, but not appearantly doing anything special.

Also you can see him at least one time together with the collective, in the "dream" sequence with the speaking stones, where you learn that he supposedly works for them as some sort of assassine and thief, and also you get to see him when you decide to approah the monolith.

My favorite tho is in the laboratory control room where you have the sequence with the bloodsucker climbing down from the wall and suddenly the trenchcoat is right behind you. That scared the shit ouf of me.

Unfortunatelly, that intended "quest line" is never to be completed. you never have a chance to speak to the guy, and you never have to fight him. after the appearance in the lab, he just kind of disappears, never to be seen again until the game ends.

Two questions: if you follow the sin questline - hence do not kill the sin members in cordon - do you get to know moreabout the trenchcoat? are there other appearances that i missed through my run?
And if not - or generally - what do you think of him? shoudlnt he have something like a major endgame appearance, may it be of narrative or fighting nature?

________
Same goes for the collective. The dream sequence you have after meeting the doc in the swamp is actually kind of cool. i like the idea that is shown through the different stones representing a collective member each, each one apparently having a different role within the collective (sword, shield, leader are the ones i was able to recognize), but this concept is never further shown or explored. When you enter the final lab, you just have some creepy looking tanks that you destroy, even without any bigger fight or resistance. you just go in and kill them, and that is it. even original stalker had better story telling than LA when it comes to the collective.
I find this to be very disappointing.
Also, does anyone but me find the ending to be kind of dissapointing? just running around having nothing in your way but a few zombies, which you can feel free to dodge when you want? no epic last resistance, no monolith guards, no fighting - just outright go in and slaughter them?

I'd like to hear your oppinions to the trenchcoat, and possibly get some more information that i have missed. it doesnt feel right that he just drops out of the game after being introduced and risen all game long so well.

Sincerly

Sealside
sealside

Return to Lost Alpha