The Project - Suggestions

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Re: The Project - suggestions

Postby dez » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 pm

it has no storyline, just the first 1-2 tasks works, they are all about finding artefact. this build was not meant to be released, just alife test for devs, and now usable for modding purposes :)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:49 am

STALKER - Omega Project
STALKER - Man Made Hell
STALKER - Lost Artifacts
STALKER - Redemption
STALKER - Collective Consciousness
STALKER - Totally kickass mega man-project with hairy balls that will melt your mind.
STALKER - Rad Edition
STALKER - Radioactive

Those are my title suggestions :D
I registered because this is one of the few mods I think has true potential. Not that i'm an authority on this.

But my question is if you plan (if the engine allows) to bring back the cool anomalies that we heart about back around `03-`04. I remember poison fog (which required a gas mask and oxygen tank to move in), acid rain, rusty hair, burnt fuzz (which is in game but doesn't do anything). I think those had to be in a build at some point, since the UI even has a meter with a pair of lungs, suggesting that you had an oxygen supply for poison gas. And I strongly believe that Rusty Hair is still in the game. It's those brown, bush-looking thinks in some buildings with orange stuff underneath them. I thought they were plants but now I believe they are rusty hair anomalies that were disabled. And poison gas should be a major concern in underground areas.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I can't wait for release! Keep up the struggle.
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

Postby dez » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 pm

yep the rusty hair is that. but we dont know what side effect should be added for that. simple injury is not interesting.

about that rusty fog. we can make something similar, but i dont want to spoil.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:17 pm

I think rusty hair could work sorta like a super powered fruit punch. I modded anomalies to make them super powered and the fruit punch did an interesting thing. It caused massive bleeding that required a LOT of bandages and artifacts to heal, and it really ate away at my armor.

So for rusty hair it should do this: you could move through it, but as you move through it causes massive bleeding and steadily eats away at your armor, not just plain health damage.
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 pm

Burnt Fuzz does rupture damage. But, most of them don't work, except for a few in Yantar, one in DV and a few in AW (dunno about Radar/Pripyat)
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby gannebamm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hell Team Dezowave,
Cause of the fact most people search for "lost alpha" to get infos about the new project its almost natural to call youre project lost alpha. Everybody know this name by now.

For a suggestion to lost alpha from me read the progress thread.
buh bye
stalker aliVe teaser : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUTI6cx9oU
My lovely old project...
gannebamm

Postby cosmonaute » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 am

Hello, everybody...
I'm just an old lurker that has decided to come out of the dark and share his opinions...
First of all, having played a lot of mods, i must say that some things that are common to many of them disturb me a little. in particular the way modders use cut-out monsters, like the burer, or zombies. Why ? Well, because i really think they could become far creepier, if their presence in a given map was properly staged, or at least be logical. For me, the burer, being really strange and quite powerful, deserves the same place as the controller in vanilla Stalker. Imagine... you're in the forest, it's dark, and something is near, running in the woods. It's mumbling and grumbling in an almost human way, but you know it's not human... And then, all of a sudden, you feel a strong headache and you see the trees bend, before being hit by a strange blast of energy... Doesn't it sound cool ?
By the way, have you ever noticed that you couldn't truly see what the really twisted monsters ( controllers, poltergeists, bloodsuckers...) looked like, before they were truly dead ? Stalker is also about mystery, and the monsters should not merely be canon fodder.
The other little thing that i wanted to talk about is status of anomalies. In fact, having just watched the film Stalker by Tarkovski, i wondered if an entire room, for example, could become an anomaly... and if you could trigger it in a way that would suggest that the zone is alive and watching you (like having a weapon drawn = being hostile, or making too much noise). Anyway, just another weird idea...
Keep up the good work !
PS: Pardon my english, i'm french !
cosmonaute

Postby jwknaggs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm

cosmonaute wrote:Hello, everybody...
I'm just an old lurker that has decided to come out of the dark and share his opinions...
First of all, having played a lot of mods, i must say that some things that are common to many of them disturb me a little. in particular the way modders use cut-out monsters, like the burer, or zombies. Why ? Well, because i really think they could become far creepier, if their presence in a given map was properly staged, or at least be logical. For me, the burer, being really strange and quite powerful, deserves the same place as the controller in vanilla Stalker. Imagine... you're in the forest, it's dark, and something is near, running in the woods. It's mumbling and grumbling in an almost human way, but you know it's not human... And then, all of a sudden, you feel a strong headache and you see the trees bend, before being hit by a strange blast of energy... Doesn't it sound cool ?
By the way, have you ever noticed that you couldn't truly see what the really twisted monsters ( controllers, poltergeists, bloodsuckers...) looked like, before they were truly dead ? Stalker is also about mystery, and the monsters should not merely be canon fodder.
The other little thing that i wanted to talk about is status of anomalies. In fact, having just watched the film Stalker by Tarkovski, i wondered if an entire room, for example, could become an anomaly... and if you could trigger it in a way that would suggest that the zone is alive and watching you (like having a weapon drawn = being hostile, or making too much noise). Anyway, just another weird idea...
Keep up the good work !
PS: Pardon my english, i'm french !

hi your ideas are realy good,whether the team could use them is not for me to say,no need to pardon your english it's better than mine i am english :lol: :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby sakateka » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Hello everyone. I am so glad to see someone decided to bring old stalker back. I nearly shit my pants while scrolling through lost alpha progress thread, amazing job so far. I am a big fan of the stalker movie and abandoned, post apocalyptic atmosphere. i wanted to talk about some content that isnt in the game like pseudo people, i think they were in concept art phase only but i found screenshot( http://www.stalker-portal.ru/datas/user ... shot38.jpg ) of some mutated dude sitting under stairs... i was dreaming to see some neutral mutated people living in the zone, imagine how atmospheric it could be.. you enter some ruined house and see twisted figure sitting near campfire, and he asks you to give him something to eat in exchange he will tell you his story or give some quest...

Another thing i thought about was a story i heard you guys are making a whole new storyline, just a little suggestion : The dude(Actor) lives in a small town near the zone and his daughter falls ill with some strange sickness doctors have no idea what it is.. but local wiseman told that only way to heal her its to bring rare artefact from the zone.. So her father(actor) sales all family jewlery to buy some rusty gun, and desperatly goes into the zone. And you must hurry up cuz wiseman mentioned that your daughter will die in a few month if you dont get that friggin artefact. Thats how you became stalker. And this is time limited mission ( like in fallout 1 when you have to get a water chip for your vault :P) Then you find that creepy old lady living in the abandoned village somewhere in the zone, and she happen to have grandson who also had that strange sickness and she managed to heal him. Because she has some psy abilytis (radiation activated some parts of her brain that were inactive before). You bag her to help your daughter, she agrees to help but she asks you a favor that only mentaly sick man can ask...
The old lady is the one of the few solutions of this quest you can also find artefact or just let your daughter die.. I think things like this will make game more RPG. For me RPG isnt about stats and skills in character log, its about atmosphere, interesting dialogues, memorable characters and freedom of choice. And that i think was the goal of GSC (back then in 2001) to make game that will have fps combat and RPg feel

to cosmonaute i dig your idea about anomalies mang! Right now anomalys look like some stupid traps that you can easly avoid, it could be a lot more interesting if they could return character to the place where he was before (like in film near waterfalls) or some psychotropic anomalies that makes you see some weird stuff

i also bag your pardon about my english !
sakateka

Postby Red Schuhart » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Sakateka, the first part of your storyline is similar to the basic storyline of 'Roadside Picnic' - my namesake stalking the Zone to eventually help his mutant daughter 'Monkey'.

But the Zone in the novel is entirely devoid of people, other than scientists and stalkers. There are people who, having been already dead and buried when the 'visaitation' took place, become reanimated. They tended to make their way back to the place they had lived and just stayed there.

There were also, I think, seven 'Zones' in the novel. Maybe in any future Stalker game the GSC type of 'Zone' will break out somewhere else.

A major city strikes me as an interesting possibility. In such a case stalkers would be less interested in artifacts than relieving abandoned museums and bank vaults of their similarly abandoned treasures.

Might cut down on the build time, too. I'm sure there are a lot of major cities that have already been computer-modelled. Just add ability to do damage to things and people to do the damage and you're the first stalkers to enter the new Zone covering all of London, New York, Geneva, Tokyo or wherever has the best computer model.

I quite like the idea of stalkers being hired to rescue a particular work of art or other object. You'll still have anomolies and other dangers to avoid and your money-making tasks are there. Now you just need a storyline to hang it on.

How about you've always wanted your own nuclear capability and you'd heard there was a missile for sale on eBay at a hundred million dollars. You decide to become a stalker in order to make the money. When you reach a hundred million in your account you buy the missile and 25,000 policemen from America, from 5,000 different government departments, all arrive at once to arrest you for being plain silly. They take the missile, give you your money back and you buy a small island with all the trimmings and live like a king for the rest of your life.

Just a thought.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby sakateka » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:55 pm

is it possible to take 3d model of existing city and make it in to the game ? (i am total noob in those things)
There is also project called Pripyat 3d on pripyat.com some guys are making 3d model of the city http://pripyat.com/sm/site/photogallery ... /23852.jpg

I've found some concepts of pseudopeople i was talking about http://www.winline.ru/img/2008/3/stalke ... people.jpg
sakateka

Postby jwknaggs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 am

Red Schuhart wrote:Sakateka, the first part of your storyline is similar to the basic storyline of 'Roadside Picnic' - my namesake stalking the Zone to eventually help his mutant daughter 'Monkey'.

But the Zone in the novel is entirely devoid of people, other than scientists and stalkers. There are people who, having been already dead and buried when the 'visaitation' took place, become reanimated. They tended to make their way back to the place they had lived and just stayed there.

There were also, I think, seven 'Zones' in the novel. Maybe in any future Stalker game the GSC type of 'Zone' will break out somewhere else.

A major city strikes me as an interesting possibility. In such a case stalkers would be less interested in artifacts than relieving abandoned museums and bank vaults of their similarly abandoned treasures.

Might cut down on the build time, too. I'm sure there are a lot of major cities that have already been computer-modelled. Just add ability to do damage to things and people to do the damage and you're the first stalkers to enter the new Zone covering all of London, New York, Geneva, Tokyo or wherever has the best computer model.

I quite like the idea of stalkers being hired to rescue a particular work of art or other object. You'll still have anomolies and other dangers to avoid and your money-making tasks are there. Now you just need a storyline to hang it on.

How about you've always wanted your own nuclear capability and you'd heard there was a missile for sale on eBay at a hundred million dollars. You decide to become a stalker in order to make the money. When you reach a hundred million in your account you buy the missile and 25,000 policemen from America, from 5,000 different government departments, all arrive at once to arrest you for being plain silly. They take the missile, give you your money back and you buy a small island with all the trimmings and live like a king for the rest of your life.

Just a thought.

red nice to see you back, and i totaly agree with what you are saying :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby cosmonaute » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 am

To say another word about the "anomalies" there are in the stalker film...
If i remember correctly, before the three characters approach the wish granter, they have to face two dangerous places. The first is a hallway half-flooded with murky water, of which we later learn that it has an ominous nickname ("the mincer" or smthg like that), and that the stalker expected his client to die in it, especially since he was carrying a gun. The other was a storeroom filled with weird patches of sand, not unlike dunes, set out in a strange pattern (but i don't remember what it is supposed to do).
More generally, what i wanted to say earlier is that perhaps restoring the game that the developers had originally in mind means of course adding things, but also understanding that, if those people had so many expectations, it's because from the beginning SOC was supposed to be more than a (good) videogame. Of course there are mandatory FPS elements, monsters and traps and cool weapons, but they're supposed to belong to this logic, yet mysterious background. And it's important to note that, beside his quest for identity, half of the inception of SOC (and of course Priboi Story) is the uncovering of the laws that rule the Zone. So, to the point : it irritates me a little when i see that certain things are too obviously video-game elements. And in a mod it's possible to blend those elements in the background. So, suggestions:
- scientists could pay you to analyze some unusual anomalies or creatures or even artifacts (for example a quest could spawn an artifact with random properties, and you would even have the chance to baptise it)
- you would gain access to the full description of monsters and anomalies only by talking to people, paying, finding documents or looting bodies
- you would hear many theories about the things the scientists can't really explain (blowouts, psy-powers, etc)
- stalkers would have superstitions (why not introduce the "nightmare-proof bucket" in the game? )
Anyway, just little things to improve the atmosphere... some of them could be only text.
Ah...and i see i should really read "roadside picnic", i didn't think it was so different from the movie...
Last edited by cosmonaute on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmonaute

Postby sakateka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 pm

About quests for collecting monster parts: what if scinetist will give you task not just collect parts of the creature, but bring dead mutant body to the lab, i think its a lot more chellenging task cuz u cant shoot while you are dragging something... dont know if its possible to do, just another thought
sakateka

Postby cosmonaute » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:04 pm

That depends... imagine they give you a vehicle to transport the body...
cosmonaute

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha