Question about A-Life

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Re: Question about A-Life

Postby dez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 pm

drwhoever wrote:It's high time to get some 2011 questions on these boards eh..?

First question. Will the next Alpha Format or FAQ update contain anything about mutant A-life?
I'ts the aspect of LA I'm most curious about and have a dozen specific questions about it, but I figure the revamped site might come with some informative updates in the near future so I'm trying to be patient before I flood this topic with more questions.

we dont plan to make more alpha format videos, we simply showed way too much, now the story left, which we don't want to spoil.

mutant ai... not sure what you would like to hear here, since they are already fine. they do their daily routines by default, sleeping, eating, patrolling, and so on, but ofc it can be only observed if one takes enough time to find some nice position and watch them for hours... instead of rushind them down. we dont think mutant ai needs any serious tweaking, only people need to change their style of playing if they want to see it operating.

but maybe i simply dont understand your question, plz ask exact questions, try to restrict the subject, because its too wide now.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby dez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Darkman wrote:Also i have a question about random military patrols (on the APC,or on foot)
It's still in game? and how it's works?

we dont plan to add army everywhere, they protect the borders, and ofc send chopper patrols regurarly, so its possible you will see choppers around you, if you shoot, it shoots back, so its better to avoid them, and hide. there will be some tasks when it will try to hunt you down, so you need to hide until they give up on you.

some areas might contain military settlements, but as i said, we dont plan to flood the zone, we want to have many areas, where you can simply walk and chill, enjoy the scene, and examine the local wildlife or simply rush them down, or wait until they rush you down :D
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Killerangel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:18 am

The chopers will alarm all military in the zone ? or just closest patrol ?
Will be more cool and chalanging if all military is on you . :mrgreen:
Killerangel
dez0wave tester

Postby dez » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:43 am

that would ruin the story, you need to think on everything, if army raids the whole zone, the camps, bases are all fubar...

we have something like this in our plans (yay video from priboi 1.2):

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DhIgY63x_dM

so as you see heli transports troops over you if you are a bad boy :)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby drwhoever » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for the info guys. As much as I love the alpha format vids, I appreciate the element of surprise even more , sounds good to me, just as long as those amazing screen shots keep coming!! Don't take away ALL my candy.

The only other specific question I have on this topic is, will we see mutants occupy buildings?
One thing I thought was missing from vanilla was, none of these larger buildings seem to have mutant residents. Something like , a bloodsucker who claims one of the Pripyat apartments for his own domain. Any who enter are food.
It seemed to me that the mutants avoid the interiors completely unless chasing someone down. I always thought it would be really freaky in a good way to venture into some building thought to be empty, and run nose to nose with a mutant.
All versions I've played through so far, once you clear any scripted elements from a building, it stays empty of mutants.
drwhoever

Postby DirtDiver » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 am

Hey I also have a question about the mutants.
What's the relation between them, because in vanilla I always saw blind dogs and pseudogs fighting boars and fleshes. And I believed snorks, bloodsuckers and pseugiants are also in the same ''faction'' , zombies and controllers.. :rolleyes:
How are these relations in Lost Alpha? Do some of them share territory?
DirtDiver

Postby drwhoever » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 am

That's also a good question. I HATED seeing mixed breeds of mutants running around in co-op mass. I'm not talking stampedes now., the blowout frenzy fits the zone perfectly I think. I'm talking areas where bloodsuckers, hamsters/rats, snorks, and so forth, all run around like some friendly little pack of mixed nuts or some shit. No, I like the idea that the zone has it's own food chain and anything too far outside the species should fight or avoid each other at all costs.
Hmmmm that gets me thinking... a controller who takes over other mutants... say a pseudogiant perhaps... :idea:

ok ok I go to bed now before I get more silly ideas.
drwhoever

Postby dez » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 pm

mutants can now go in buldings, since we added aimap inside, so nothing can stop them to follow the actor even to a 4floor flat's attic. you might be able to find some bloodsuckers, polters, zombies in flats too.

as for relation, we havent edited that yet, since we use proper gulags, smarts for monsters, not just spawning them randomly, so they cant team-up as they do in many mods where they are just dropped down on the maps.

we probably will edit the relations, since it looks nice to see bloodsuckers fight other animals, and zombies too, since they were neutral to almost all mutants in vanilla.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby drwhoever » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Sounds damn good fellas. Thank you for such quick responses.

I think I need to take a vacation from asking questions and leave you guys more time to work on getting that storyline completed. :wink:
drwhoever

Postby DirtDiver » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Ok thanks for the responses guys :)
Keep up the good work ;)
DirtDiver

Postby basist » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 am

mutants occupy buildings
sounds really nice! I strongly support the idea.
I'll copy some of the main page chat here if nobody minds it.
What I've read about luring NPCs with bolts - seems a great idea to me. In case of friendly or neutral NPC it would be great if they just turn to player and say "hey! cut that out!" or come to player and hit him with the weapon stock (same as if you make several attempts to speak to them with your weapon unholstered).

And it would be simply great if NPCs react to your shooting next to them. Because it seems too unrealistic when several NPCs sit around campfire eating, cracking jokes and playing guitar and u shoot above their heads or next to them (without ricocheting into any of them) and they simply ignore you. Would it be possible to make friendly / neutral NPCs "more nervous" about shooting? And can that bug be completely fixed when you hit any enemy from far distance and he just makes his "arrgh!", shrugs shoulders and keeps patrolling or gazing at some spot without any further reaction to the shot?
Last edited by basist on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby basist » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Questions on artifacts:
1) will NPCs look for artifacts? Will they go into anomaly zones?
2) will NPCs use artifacts? Will the engine compute their bullet resistance etc. if they "wear" the respective artifact?
3) will stalkers react to artifacts lying within their field of view? Example - I talk to an NPC, close "talk" window and drop an artifact from my inventory or from the belt - will he take it? I mean, even the original SoC has a feature that stalker could pick up and equip a weapon lying somewhere in front of him. Would be really nice to have the same for artifacts since they are claimed everywhere (game / books) to be the main currency of the Zone and source of wealth.
4) will stalkers (non-traders) show artifacts they possess in the "trade" window? As I remember, original SoC allowed you to buy "1st-order" (cheapest of the three) artifacts from them. But when I tried to lose money (before going to Monolith to get a different ending) and sold "spring" to fellow-Freedom NPC in Pripyat - he never showed it again in his inventory. Will LA have the same artifact trading system?

Not quite related to AI but: will NPC die of radiation? If yes - will they use antirad?
Last edited by basist on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby basist » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 pm

KazakHD5770 asked a good question in the general chat:
Gulags (monster "camps") like in SoC - will monsters be able to cross borders of their gulags?

One more question on monsters' abilities - blind dogs are claimed to be blind, but in all three parts of the game they do not notice you until you are in their field of view. You can easily stand to the left or to the right of a blind dog. You can even run and jump (i.e. make a lot of noise) behind the whole flock and then you just turn 90 degrees and run to their left/right without being noticed!
Will LA have the improved monster abilities? At least the ones mentioned in their description? And will at least the boars and fleshes be hard to kill or not?
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby LoboTheMan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I have a question, if you have kill an NPC.
Does LA change the fact, that as soon as you kill, lets say knife one from Freedom, immediately all Freedom members know what happened and that you are to blame.

Do you have anything implemented, or planned on that subject?
Or is it hardcoded in the engine, if so, the old explosive barrel trick will have to do :D
Also Known As: 100RadsBar (GSC Forums)
LoboTheMan

Postby dez » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:18 pm

its not hardcoded, all can be done in sdk, simply putting that poor npc to an other group. Probably if you even unpacked all spawn you saw groups-squads with numbers.

An example: if you spawn 1 duty in garbage and 1 in bar, and you set the groups to different numbers, like groups = '1' in gar, and '2' in bar, then if you kill the duty guy in garbage, the bar duty guy wont know about it. However you still get the bad karma point. The rest depends on the amount of goodwill points you have in that faction. If you are friend with tham, and have around 1000points, then you can kill 4 duty guys before they become your enemy.

You can find these points in the relations ltx file, but they only contain the starting values, the dynamically updated points are being stored in your savegame file.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha