unclevinnie

Re: Question about A-Life

Postby basist » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm

which bot?
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby dez » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 am

there was some spammer bot here, but it was deleted.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby basist » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:01 pm

why was the "bot issue" posted here? was he a bug from A-Life engine? :lol:
basist
dez0wave tester

Postby Soap » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi all :D
Want to ask about very important thing(s)...
Levels without any humans/very rare humans. I mean, levels without any camps but with possibility that some1 can get there by A-Life simulation. OK, i'm shure something like that will be on few of last levels, but i always want to see that on one of few first 5-7 levels - that gonna be creepy when there are only mutants/animals and no any camp, just abondoned houses or another buildings. And sleeping bag should not work in all places, else nobody will walk at night as it was in CoP - all the time i was walking only from 4:00 to 23:00, coz nights are so dangerous but... interesting. Ohh, or maybe just don't allow player sleep on totally abondoned levels? That will make necessary night walks and "pee-in-pants" gameplay, which we can see on CS swamp at night (without mods those are adding ability to sleep and that brokes pee-in-pants gameplay).

OK, looks like i found solution - allow player to sleep only when there is friendly human near to player - kinda "cover my ass when i'm sleeping", maybe then players will need to pay money, but not in normal stalker camps =)
Soap

Postby Soap » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Ohh... And i always want to ask about stealth.
Stealth was near to perfect in LURK mod, as KazakHD5770 did, i've stolen documents on Agroprom at night and nobody seen me :rolleyes:

Night steals can be very good reason to explore Zone or just move from A to B at night, but player should find enemy NPCs and don't let them find player. There are even "Night Stalkers" guys in some books, those are "working" only at night. Plus it's going be interesting to see new levels first time when it's night, and after see same levels when it's day - differences of imagination and real picture.
Soap

Postby ScramUK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:58 pm

My Question about the A-Life:

How far does LA's A-life go?
Will the AI have unlimited ammo? Or will it be limited to what it is carrying?
Will the AI be able to manage its own inventory and prioritise its goals based on what it has/needs?
If so....
When an AI character begins running low on ammo will he goto a trader to buy some more?
What if the AI has little money? Will it actively look to sell/trade items to PC/NPC?
What if it has nothing to trade? Will the NPC kill to attain what it wants?
Will the AI hunt for artifacts to sell, and generate revenue?
ScramUK

Postby unclevinnie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Very interesting question!

It will be extremely realistic, if we could see all of these listed abilities of NPC stalkers.
But, I guess - it will take huge time to develop, + even huger time to fix bugs connected to such specific abilities.
Anyway - I believe, STALKER should remain STALKER, and shouldn't turn into THE SIMS game...
unclevinnie

Postby vintar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Problem with npcs that run out of ammo is that they run for the hills literally. This is obviously somewhat realistic but it can and usually does kill gameplay.
a bit of this and a lot of that
vintar
dez0wave developer

Postby ScramUK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah i've seen NPCs in panic mode. It can be rather hilarious, but quite clever aswell. I've seen NPC's sprinting away from a mutant, turn around, fire off some shots then sprint away again. It would just be nice to have one a couple of NPCs in the zone that are on par with the player (Perhaps just stalkers starting as rookies, and seeing how far they go) - Ones that will run to fight another day....

Something i've liked about the Alife in Stalker (following some mods) is that it always gave the illusion that the NPC's had a sense of self preservation, rather than be cannon fodder for the player to mow down on his/her herioc mission. The AI gave a sense of personality rarely seen in FPS's.

Speaking of which, there was a message thing for the AMK where stalkers would broadcast events that were happening around them. Was this genuine, or pre-made text with certain variables that was randomly broadcast every so often?
ScramUK

Postby vintar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:38 am

If it is happening around you then most probably it is real. iirc they did also have fake stuff that would display messages from other levels.
a bit of this and a lot of that
vintar
dez0wave developer

Postby Soap » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Hello!
You alredy know about problem when player can shoot NPC from far distance and make damage to NPC, but NPC will just make his "Arghh!!!" and will keep standing on his place/keep doing what he is doing right now. I want ask you to add scheme when NPC don't know where did he get hit from. For example
if getting damege >0.05 in 10 seconds and don't know where did get damage from then
sprint to cover. - more intelligent then just say "ARGHH!!! I'm dying..." and keep doing what did before hit =)

And about combat AI when player is facing some enemies and enemies need to get closer to make damage to player. Enemies should spring from one safe place to another, like in real life - not just walking from one tree to another and cathing bullets by own body xD

I hope those 2 things will not be too difficult to add in LA, guys!
Soap

Postby floatbewa » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:00 am

I've seen a lot of mods do intelligent bot behavior, um redux comes to mind with npc reaction to gunshots. they would turn to face where a round was fired from and even hide behind stuff (i think). if they were shot they would go into danger mode.

the ai in lost alpha is based off 2215 (right?) and playing that was a lot of fun because the ai could really mess your shit up. a couple changes/additions to that ai and you could have one of the best human ai in any game.
floatbewa

Postby dez » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:24 pm

floatbewa wrote:the ai in lost alpha is based off 2215 (right?)

no
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby basist » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Soap makes the point! At least with the stupid "ARRGH!" + doing nothing after being hit.
One more question - will exoskeletons sprint from grenades or it will be fair for everyone? :)
basist
dez0wave tester

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha