Lost Alpha - Q & A

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Re: Lost Alpha - Q & A

Postby dez » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:48 pm

nah its okay, but we had only 1 rule: we will only answer them, if they reg on the forum, and ask it on their own. if they are really interested in la, thats not a big deal to reg on the official forum, does it?

but it seems it does :) since this q-a happened in december, and already 6months passed by.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby r733 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi
I have question/concern about respawning. I suggest to put a lot of respawning points with very different critters and very little apperance probability; that would prevent game from being too predictable and therefore boring. Even on "safe" areas should be -very little- chance to encounter some strong mutants. It would help to keep tension and wouldn't made the zone crowded either. Zone can(should be) be deserted and not boring but it have to be unpredictable.

One more thing about respawning; it would be good if the respawnig would be block for a reasonable time after "cleaning the area" and would happen when there is no player within couple hundred meters aound.

Some idea; I think it would be intersting if the zone would react on player behaviour; aggressive players shooting even peaceful mutants (err, assuming there will be such) would encounter more often stronger mutants, and more blowouts.
The more stalkers in group the higher chance of blowout or mutants attack. That would explain stalkers "loner" tendency and why military is getting its ass kicked in the zone. This way game could adjust itselsf to player depending if he want to fight or rather explore.

Another suggestion; it would be great if there would be "realistic" option during instalation with very minimalistic hud (for me it could be only weapon fire mode) "operation flashpoint like" hit system (1 direct hit from a rifle round -without body armour- means death) and very limited (preferably in time) effectiveness of health kits. It would be also nice if strelok wouldn't be able to run like pro long-distance runner who forgot that he carries 40 kg on his back...

1 thing about weapon stats; in realistic mode the pistols and rifles should different rather in accuracy, recoil and relibility rathan than damage (at least in same calibre). Accuracy without using iron sights should be very low.

Good luck with the mod, if it will be as good as I expect it will squash any commercial fpp on the market (unless someone is a shader-whore). The only thing I'm afraid is that it will be to unpolished/buggy to fully enjoy it so take your time guys! =)
r733

Postby unclevinnie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm

r733 wrote:I'm afraid is that it will be to unpolished/buggy to fully enjoy it

Can you remember, how buggy and unpolished ClearSky was??? (At least - in Russia it was terrible, don't know how it was in other countries' releases).
unclevinnie

Postby Killerangel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 pm

r733 ,we will try to do best ,and test every thing and remove bugs found as well as possible. :D
Killerangel
dez0wave tester

Postby vintar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Bugz, where? :D
a bit of this and a lot of that
vintar
dez0wave developer

Postby Killerangel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:31 pm

:drinkers: bloodsuker give me that :D )))))
Killerangel
dez0wave tester

Postby Sn4rk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 pm

I have one question and one request :

:?: : Will NPCs be able to drive vehicles ?

:idea: : I hope you will make a Steam Version too :arrow: it will be too bad if this great mod will not work in Steam Version
Sorry for my bad english
Sn4rk

Postby r733 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 am

Sn4rk, I think I can answer on your first question; no.

Killerangel wrote:
r733 ,we will try to do best ,and test every thing and remove bugs found as well as possible.

Thanks=) If you're a tester can you answer my question about a respawn system - I'm mostly intrested in freeplay and it's kinda important for me...

unclevinnie wrote:
Can you remember, how buggy and unpolished ClearSky was??? (At least - in Russia it was terrible, don't know how it was in other countries' releases).

I remember one bug that cause all npcs disappear, including merchants...
r733

Postby Sn4rk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am

r733 wrote:Sn4rk, I think I can answer on your first question; no.

Well, nevermind, at least there will be a flying helicopters :?

And I have two more questions - Will the "company" system be in Lost Alpha ? And if yes, will the NPCs you have in your group follow you to a vehicle too ? I mean if they will board the vehicle
Sorry for my bad english
Sn4rk

Postby dez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 am

no, they wont use vehicles, and you won't be able to ask them to follow you anytime, just when its needed in the storyline. :prayer:
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Sn4rk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

:cry: Well, I think this is the only bad thing about the mod, otherwise it will be perfect :!:

And, the mod will be released in 2011 or its still an unknown date ?
Sorry for my bad english
Sn4rk

Postby atikabubu » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:35 am

The date is unknown, but leaning to Q4 2011. :P
Polish Stalker Community
Polish Community PR and Localization
atikabubu
Admin & dez0wave developer

Postby vintar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

@sn4rk
thats only your opinion that that is a bad thing.
I'm sure you dont realise what alot of work it would be to make them drive.
Do you really think you can put an npc in a car and say 'off you go'?
a bit of this and a lot of that
vintar
dez0wave developer

Postby Sn4rk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 am

Well, I dont understand modding too much, so I dont know if its even possible, but with you, guys, anything is possible :) but there are flying helis, so I think it is possible, but if no, then no.

I dont think thats bad, only the companion system thing is bad for my opinion. Just, I dont like the loneless in Stalker, but I dont mean the companion mod for SoCh, where you can take any friendly ( green ) Stalker with you, there should be a limit for only 2, but if you think thats a bad idea and it will ruin the atmosphere, then ok, its a bad idea :wink:

And I dont said that I think the bad thing is that Stalkers dont drive vehicles, but if there will be a companion system ( at least when its needed in the story mode ) then it is possible that Stalkers may board the vehicle as passengers :?: / Because its too lame when you drive and they just run around the vehicle, sometimes they even stand in the front of the vehicle and there is just one option how to get them away from there :lol:
Sorry for my bad english
Sn4rk

Postby r733 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I don't think that adding the feature of npcs driving a cars would be really that hard to do (for a talented programmer) but the effects would be catastrophic. The path finding in stalker is not so bad but still leves a lot to wish. Now imagine that stalkers are size of a car and try "run" between a trees which are too close to each other... It would would be ridiculous. The AI is simply not enough advanced. Even in games like gta there are some problems, in dense evironment with a lot of obstacles it simply can't work well. With helis there is no such problem :wink:

Err, will someone answer my question about a respawn system? :rolleyes:
r733

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha