Lost Alpha - The Project

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Lost Alpha - The Project

Postby dez » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Here we explain our ideas, and the main purpose of the project.
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby dez » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm

What was Oblivion Lost?

Because that was the name of old stalker, before they changed it to Shadow of Chernobyl. The old stalker was totally different. We are not just talking about level design, but the purpose of the game was different too. You were a real stalker. Total freeplay, no storyline (not good idea), unscripted alife (sometimes good, but mostly not), stalkers had their own jobs, they picked up infos and tasks at local traders, and they were wandering around, collecting artifact, then taking back them to the trader, etc. The blowouts were also present, where you needed to look for a nice hideout. The artifacts respawned after blowout, and the anomalies changed their position.

Most of us follows stalker development since 2001-2, when they presentated their new x-ray engine, and we saw some aztec city ruins with robots. Yes, at that time it was popular to make it, like serious sam :) However they realized, that it becomes boring, and wow they live near a strange place, the exclusion zone, so why not making a game about it?

So they edited title, from oblivion lost, to Stalker - oblivion lost.

We don't know much about it, it was the first stalker prototype and the old dx7-8 engine was brilliant at that time. Xray was one of the best engines.

Why did you choose to remake it?

We always wanted to play the old stalker, from that time, when we were kids too, and we became addiced with this idea. When we saw the fist videos of cordon, garbage, darkscape, radar, military, pripyat, and of cours e the power plant, we thought its not possible, its just a dream.

Later, during the years of developement, the team changed, ideas and possibilities changed, and the levels too. And then in 2007, we got the game. First it was real good, and second time too, well actually we played it a lot of times, and it was still good, perfect, but something was missing.

Then we opened forums, topics, and we talked about the old content, that was removed, or remade. Instead of darkscape, we got darkvalley, instead of the old landfill, we got the empty garbage, instead of old cool cordon, we got an other one, what is also good, but we miss the old factory, and villages. The zone at that time looked like a derelict area. Tons of trees, bushes around villages, nearly impossible to get in, it was real good.

We wanted to remake this for a long time, but we started Priboi Story last summer, so we decided to finish it first. We also had some small projects, like the first blowout mod, freeplay mod, and assistances in other mods, like ol mod.

Now we felt, its time to start to make our dreams. The game we always wanted to see. However we already implemented a lot of old content to Priboi Story 1.0, so some of them will be in our next project too, but first of all we are focusing on returning the old areas to the game.
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby gubr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 am

Sorry, but you plan to make Oblivion Lost as it was meant to be: without storyline and all those things you mentioned. Anyhow - it is a great idea to come back to roots.

Having all those old-new terrains will help you to build up seven mods with different story line more. )))

Will OL be instead of your PS2? I mean you said that there was an idea to make a new Priboi Story 2, but then you became upset and canceled the project. So OL will be instead?
samurai without a sword is alike to one with a sword but without a sword
gubr
I-project

Postby dez » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, as i posted in the 2nd post, we always wanted to make something like the old oblivion lost. We know that bringing back 100% the same is not possible, but we will try to do as much as we can.

Yes, we talked on the old forums about this... we cancelled priboi story 2, since its too time consuming to make an other new storyline mod (8-9month) and we decided to put it on hold until Clear Sky comes out, and we will do the next priboi story for clear sky engine!

But as i said, we always wanted to do the old oblivion lost atmosphere, and soon stalker shoc will be abandoned, but we would like to do our last project for shoc, and that would be this. The title is not decided yet, others said "stalker - back to the roots of oblivion lost" or "oblivion lost - back to the roots of stalker" or "stalker - back to the roots" ... but not sure which one would fit best.

About the idea. Well, we would make the openended and vanilla storyline for this old stalker mod. But with several changes, like you meet doc at deadcity, where it was originally planned, at the jail, because you were captured as well (well we will have similar thing in next priboi patch too)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Red Schuhart » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:58 pm

I think that, if the original was called 'Oblivion Lost' and you are trying to bring it back, the result of your efforts shouldn't have an over-long name like 'Oblivion Lost: Back to the Roots of...' - call it 'Oblivion Regained' or 'Oblivion Recaptured' or 'Oblivion Redeemed'.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby dez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 am

we had a topic on gamespot forums too, but it seems somehow they locked it. i dont understand these type of ppl. they let their forum to flood with crap and offing, and then they close an important topic.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalk ... pid=540331
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby dez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:24 pm

ah good to know, anyway yep its not good forum, i wont update stuff there.

-----------

here are some extra low quality screens from deadcity ai compile:

http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_1.jpg
http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_2.jpg
http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_3.jpg

the fps is low, because i was recording video with fraps, soon will post that too.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby gubr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 pm

dezodor wrote:ah good to know, anyway yep its not good forum, i wont update stuff there.

-----------

here are some extra low quality screens from deadcity ai compile:

http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_1.jpg
http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_2.jpg
http://priboi-story.extra.hu/pic/l09_deadcity_3.jpg

the fps is low, because i was recording video with fraps, soon will post that too.

Wha-a-a-a-a! Wha-a-a-a! It looks so nice! I want to play it so much! News about this project take me apart, but I can't stop checking this thread!!! )))
samurai without a sword is alike to one with a sword but without a sword
gubr
I-project

Postby stormbringer_951 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:14 pm

This is going to be a good reason to keep SHoC on my PC once I've finished playing Priboi. Is Priboi 2 (the sequel, not the patch) going to be for CS then, or ... ?
stormbringer_951

Postby Red Schuhart » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 pm

That's the plan, yes. The 1.1 patch is the last to be based on SoC. Priboi 2.0 is destined for the CS engine.

Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby stormbringer_951 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Besides, we don't want to confuse it with Kany's mod (which I don't have a healthy respect for, myself)...
stormbringer_951

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 pm

stormbringer_951 wrote:Besides, we don't want to confuse it with Kany's mod (which I don't have a healthy respect for, myself)...

This is going to my sig!
OK,enough off topic.Hope I don't get my head severed for this.
Oblivion Redeemed or S.T.A.L.K.E.R Genesis are pretty good names you guys posted somewhere,so thumbs up.Kanyhalos' mod just isn't the thing...
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Red Schuhart » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:43 am

Most mods, including OL, have their own value. I first experienced artifact transmutation in OL, something new and interesting.

Besides, whatever mod you choose you can always get into the files and personalize it.

I'm going to try adding a fix to Priboi 1.1, after I've been through it at least once, to allow stash messages to be given again after the stash has been emptied. The fix was given to me by NatVac and has worked in every mod I've added it to so far. It offers a reason for going back to Cordon every once in a while.

Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Next

Return to Lost Alpha