The Project - Suggestions

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Re: The Project - suggestions

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 am

In addition to all these great ideas there should be an overall feeling that no place is ever safe in the Zone. Mutants should be able to go anywhere at anytime (like a spot where a STALKER is taking a nap). And anomalies should change position about every day, say to get to Dark Valley you'll have to wait a day because anomalies are blocking the tunnel/path. It was kinda mentioned in vanilla SoC and CS that the Zone is always changing and that's what makes being in the Zone so difficult.

--ps. oh, and there will be random blowouts right? When a blowout happens it should turn your vision black and white like it was originally planned. I did that once to OL and it was very cool.
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

Postby Orion » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Leave the Red Forest on old_Radar map :)
Radar from SoC very atmospheric location)
I am an Eternal...
Orion

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:02 am

sakateka wrote:
Another thing i thought about was a story i heard you guys are making a whole new storyline, just a little suggestion : The dude(Actor) lives in a small town near the zone and his daughter falls ill with some strange sickness doctors have no idea what it is.. but local wiseman told that only way to heal her its to bring rare artefact from the zone.. So her father(actor) sales all family jewlery to buy some rusty gun, and desperatly goes into the zone. And you must hurry up cuz wiseman mentioned that your daughter will die in a few month if you dont get that friggin artefact. Thats how you became stalker. And this is time limited mission ( like in fallout 1 when you have to get a water chip for your vault :P) Then you find that creepy old lady living in the abandoned village somewhere in the zone, and she happen to have grandson who also had that strange sickness and she managed to heal him. Because she has some psy abilytis (radiation activated some parts of her brain that were inactive before). You bag her to help your daughter, she agrees to help but she asks you a favor that only mentaly sick man can ask...
The old lady is the one of the few solutions of this quest you can also find artefact or just let your daughter die.. I think things like this will make game more RPG. For me RPG isnt about stats and skills in character log, its about atmosphere, interesting dialogues, memorable characters and freedom of choice. And that i think was the goal of GSC (back then in 2001) to make game that will have fps combat and RPg feel

I would tweak this story to make it something closer to Roadside Picnic. You play an experienced stalker who has a mutated daughter like you said (Stalkers have mutated children because of radiation), and she's slowly getting worse so the player sets off to try and reach the center of the Zone to find the Monolith and wish to cure his daughter. The same reason Redrick wanted the Golden Ball. So the game would be an action/adventure in the same vein as Priboi Story where the player has to find clues about the nature of the Zone and how to bypass hazards (Brain Scorcher, psy emitter, etc.) to reach the monolith. How it ends should be a surprise and not what we expect.
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

Postby Red Schuhart » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 pm

We never found out in the novel whether the Golden Ball actually did as advertised. And the Monolith in Stalker absolutely does not do what it says on the label. So you'd have to leave the whole thing unresolved at the final moment.

Afraid that would bug the crap out of me. Like reading a crime novel only to find some idiot has torn out the last page with the detective's summation.

That wouldn't help much with a surprise ending.

But I can try one....

The stalker, after many trials and tribulations, finally fights his way through to where the Golden Ball rests on a Monolithian altar. Except it doesn't really look quite as he had expected it to. It was less a Golden Ball than a Golden Oval. The only thing he could come up with on the moment was that the stalker who had first seen it must have been a rugby fan.
He approaches the altar slowly, reflections of firelight, from one of the flaming torches lighting the room, flickering across the Golden Oval's perfectly smooth surface. He sees his own perfect reflection as he steps up to the altar.
"My wish is that my daughter be healed of the ills brought upon her by this accursed Zone."
"My wish," replied the Golden Oval, "is that all you daft buggers would stop bothering me. Get this, 'cause I'm only going to say in once: I'm not a bloody genie, I'm a Golden Oval. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. Now bugger off!"

Well, it would be quite surprising.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby dez » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:05 am

i have an idea... since we are sticing to our plan, so we wont use more from roadside picnic than gsc did, but i like these stories and ideas... we could make a topic for "stories" and we would add them to lost alpha, like other stories were in shoc, which you got if you talked to npc, or searched a corpse.

i think im not the only one who likes to read during playing (priboi story prooves it :D we added many texts)

so what about it?
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:08 am

yes dez go for it :wink:
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:03 am

That could be a mistake as I can come up with endless bullshi..., er, I mean stories and silliness.

I think you'll have to give a bit of direction in the kind of thing you want.

'Zone' myths and superstitions? Or things that could really happen but would be less believable to be told about than to see for yourself?

For instance, there was this guy I heard about who had stepped into a burner anomoly with one foot before he realised his mistake. He was very quick and managed to throw himself away from it in time. He was also wearing a good pair of boots; the one that had actually encountered the burner had only been a bit singed.

Some time after that he stepped into a fruit punch with the same boot. Being quick he survived again, as did his boot. But on his next step he felt like there was a pebble in the boot. He sat down, took the boot off and shook out the offending rock. It bounced twice on the concrete then exploded with the sort of disappointing sound you get from a 'party popper'.

What was left sitting there was a Nightstar artifact.

He praised his good luck, scooped up the artifact and started to put his boot back on. As he did he felt another pebble in there. This, when shook out, also exploded and became a Moonlight artifact. And every time he tried to put that boot back on it happened again, and always a high-value artifact.

They say he lives in luxury on his private island somewhere now. But his boot is still in the Zone somewhere.

You see, it only works inside the Zone, so he has to come back every so often. Imagine finding his magic boot; what riches you could have.

Mind you, checking every old boot lying about in the Zone would be a full time job.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby jwknaggs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:36 am

proberbely the one i find has still got a foot init :D
life is full of suprises......mother said i was one of them!
jwknaggs
Site Admin

Postby Lobo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Regarding the weapons, in Kanyhalos Oblivion Lost Mod, the LR300 rifle has been remodeled to have the spent cartridges ejected on the (correct) right side. Also the reloading animation has also been changed to be more realistic. The AK-47 in the game has also the ejection port on the right side of the rifle, and a more proper reload animation.

Is it possible to do that, on the weapons in Lost Alpha, and, if possible, port it to Priboi-Story later on??

My point being, is that I would prefer fewer types of weapons in the game, but having them look more like the real thing. As I mentioned above regarding the LR-300, and the AK-47.
I had hoped that GSC has done this for Clear Sky, but the lazy buggers :wink: just tweaked the appearance of the weapons and kept the cartridge ejection port on the left side, as it was in SHOC.

I am of course writing this in complete ignorance on how much work and effort there has to be made for remoddeling a weapon :?

A weapon that I am missing, is the H&K G3A3 assault rifle(7.62 mm. Nato round), with the possibility to add scope & grenade launcher. (this was my favorite weapon when i was in the danish army :) )
A very powerful and reliable weapon, when proper taken care of.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as12-e.htm

Other than that i have enjoyed playing Priboi-Story immensely, and it was (and is) a perfect sequel for SHOC.
Lobo

Postby dez » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:51 pm

ol mod used arsenal mod, where some wpns were remade with right side ejection ports, its possible to make a compatiblity pack for priboi too, but we dont have time for that. if someone wants to help with it...

about new weapons: we are not interested in wpns makin, its not for us, would be better to ask arsenal mod creators (dester and zereset)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Orion » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 am

dezodor
Think, would be better to leave origin wpns and just add a few new wpns for Sin stalkers (skin and names from SRP mod would be great) and all other - modders can make theirself by unpacking your mod and combine all mods, they ever wanted :)
I am an Eternal...
Orion

Postby dez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 am

agreed, i didnt plan to add more than it was in 1935 (well maybe toz34, long bm16 double barrel rifle, pkm and p90 can be there, since they were planned, plus the almighty mosin nagant which i like)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 am

I like the look and feel of the vanilla weapon models. Arsenal for me felt too unfinished and everyone and his brother had an ak-74. Just ak after ak and the traders had dozens of ak's that just had slightly different colors.

How do you plan to do the combat? Stick close to vanilla? Like Priboi Story's combat (which I don't really like tbh.) From the previews and stuff around 2004 I got the impression that combat with humans would be pretty rare (as there aren't many people in the zone) and you would face usually 3-4 people at a time but they would be very smart and very deadly. Also, you would never know who would be friendly or hostile until they shot at you (except bandits, army, monolith, etc). 'Neutral' stalkers could backstab you if they wanted an artifact you were going after.

I also remember vaguely seeing a video back in '04 where if you wanted to talk/trade with a stalker you would have to hail him on your pda contact list. Otherwise he would ignore you, or stick a gun in your face if you just walked up to him.

Edit: are you going to add in the Clear Sky faction? They were cut from Shoc were they? And what is this "Sin" faction? I've never heard of it.

--one last suggestion from me: You could be able to hire stalkers to follow you around and fight with you. How much cash depends on their rank.
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

Postby dez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:39 pm

agreed about arsenal.

about combat, i guess we discussed it already (maybe not on this forum) since we plan to make the old stalker, the zone will look more desolated, less humans and more wild life (but not as much as in 1935 testbuild)

about meeting stalkers. well it looked a bit different as you wrote. the pda contact was only used to ask stalker if he want to trade or not, so if he didnt have anything to sell, you spared a lot of time, because you didnt have to walk to him, and then realize, that he has nothing to sell. there was an other function of it, you could ask for help so the npc came to find you, but it didnt work well.

about anims, its easy to add back any greetings anim, such as you saw on old video, when stalker waves his hands or anything.

clear sky faction possibly will be added since it was added in 2005 too. about sin... they were planned long ago, their other name was dark stalkers. you can read about them on old stalker fansites, where they explained all factions and other stuffs.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby Kill_the_Strelok » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 am

Alright. And it would be a good idea for a thread here where we can write stalker stories for the PDA. It would save you a lot of work. :mrgreen:
Kill_the_Strelok
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Alpha