the solyanka adventures

Bla-bla-bla-bla-lalal :)

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

the solyanka adventures

Postby -bg- » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:34 pm

It's a russian localized mod, I have english install, so I altered the localization.ltx (rus to eng).
Renamed the [rus] text folder to [eng] (I don't care about the text now, I just want to see those maps).
Fixed a few xmls (hardcoded #include paths pointing to the [rus] folder).

After all this, the engine still crashing, 'node not found' message in the log with some "msg_box_kicked_by_server:picture" parameter. Google only gave russian or polish forum hits, so no idea what the problem is.
Message_box.xml includes nodes with message box parameters (width, hight, coordinates... etc), and "picture" sub-nodes also with some parameters (widths, hights, textures)

I decided to take a good look on that 'message_box.xml' file. My idea was that some of the nodes have a lack of parameters. No, all the parameters there.
Quick idea: let's compare the file with priboi's one. Can't believe it, it's all there! "msg_box_kicked_by_server" node and all the stuff. So the error really was about missing nodes, and the error message's parameter was the node's name itself. How stupid I am!
I copied the whole node from priboi's xml to solyanka's. And it's working! The game starts and runs.
...until the first attempt to make a conversation with the first npc. Nice. Let's see the log. It's empty. I mean 0 byte empty.
Let's go back to the game, try some other npc. Same crash. Same 0 byte log file.

Here we are now, I can start it, I can explore it, but I can't talk to npcs. Pretty hard to explore without any weapons, suits etc... Not to mention that if I'm not talking to anyone, I can't make my way to rostock...

I'm thinking about a big fat delete. But not until I ask the smarter guys here...
Any ideas?
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
-bg-
Site Admin

Re: the solyanka adventures

Postby Red Schuhart » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Sounds a bit like the problem you get with PS 1.1 if your game is patched to 1.0005 and you failed to use the contents of the PATCHES folder.

It crashes on speaking to NPCs then because the game was based on 1.0004 and the PATCHES folder holds the cure.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby dez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 pm

i dont know anything about these mods, they have bugs probably, and probably fixes too.... but if you only interested in those maps, you should download

"Kostya V mappack" -> its being used in soljanka too, and some other rus mods.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby -bg- » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Red Schuhart wrote:Sounds a bit like the problem you get with PS 1.1 if your game is patched to 1.0005 and you failed to use the contents of the PATCHES folder.

It crashes on speaking to NPCs then because the game was based on 1.0004 and the PATCHES folder holds the cure.

censored by jkwnaggs™

dezodor wrote:i dont know anything about these mods, they have bugs probably, and probably fixes too.... but if you only interested in those maps, you should download "Kostya V mappack" -> its being used in soljanka too, and some other rus mods.

I tried to find kostya_v's mappack, no luck. I've managed to explore a few maps from solyanka's mod by the way. The last one was a map that only have entrance, no exit. Since I generally using only quicksave and autosave I'm stucked there :)
It's too buggy for my taste so I decided to wait to LA. To killing time, I'm playing with those spawn files, and scripts of the game. And making skins for my vintorez :) Basically I'm trying to learn the game's structure...

I like that plant 'anomalies' from the mod though. Did you see them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQ3sp8bxU0
Last edited by -bg- on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby dez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:42 pm

yep we also use those old cutout "anomalies". the other is the rusty hair, which looks a bit funny, something like a mixture of halflife creature and dunno what. .)
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby -bg- » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:03 pm

dezodor wrote:yep we also use those old cutout "anomalies". the other is the rusty hair, which looks a bit funny, something like a mixture of halflife creature and dunno what. .)

Aaahh, so it's old cutout thing also. Didn't know.
I'm trying to visualize something that looks like a "a mixture of halflife creature and dunno what". But I can't :D
How about posting some new screenshots into the progress folder? :D I'm sure most of us could handle some vids too :)
-bg-
Site Admin

Postby dez » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:41 pm

ah yep, we had some videos of theese. you can check our public ftp: http://chernobyl.extra.hu

and there you will find the 2 videos. the first one is called ameba_test.avi which was uploaded in summer, dont remember exact date, and the secnd is called liana.avi which is the rusty hair as i can remember....

edit: ah well, if you dont want to browse lots of files, here are the direct links:

http://chernobyl.extra.hu/liana.avi
http://chernobyl.extra.hu/ameba_test.avi
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Offtopic