Books hobby club

Bla-bla-bla-bla-lalal :)

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Postby gubr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Red Schuhart wrote:That really is a bit spooky.

I picked 'Red Schuhart' as an ID. But we also have gubr, who is really 'Kirill' - the name of the scientist whose death haunts Red Schuhart so much in the novel.

Gubr, stay well away from silvery spider webs! It just isn't worth it for that full 'empty'.

I have replied via the PM system. Now I'll go and alter my profile so that my email is accessible - I didn't know I'd blocked it.

I'd forgotten that you are in Ukraine. Are you far from Pripyat?

You know, I'd bet there's at least one copy of 'Roadside Picnic' lying around somewhere in Pripyat right now. And you wouldn't need a bedside lamp to read it by at night - it would glow.

I'm not encouraging you to go book-hunting in Pripyat, by the way. :wink:

Thanks for warning - will take care! )))
I'm about 800 km from Chernobyl! ) Feels ok! )

Two stalkers chatting in the Zone:
- Whatever they say about radiation - bullshit! Here I am - living in the Zone for about 5 years and no problems with health or something!
- Yeah, brother, all those stuff about radiation and health are just gossips. But you know what - I feel a longing in my tail last few days.
samurai without a sword is alike to one with a sword but without a sword
gubr
I-project

Postby Nemo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm

I'm starting to think that we should rename this thread to "Book shop" or something like that... :D
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby super-panda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 pm

corrected.
super-panda
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Here are some scans from the book I have:

As I mentioned this is the book of 1989 year. There are two stories - "Dead Mountaineer's Inn" and "Roadside picnic"
gubr
I-project

Postby Nemo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:11 am

That's WOW, i'd love to read them on paper, but unfortunately I've no idea on languages other than polish, english and german :( so I guess I'll have to stay with eBooks...
"Basicly, kind of a big deal(...)Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people(...) If you were from where I was from, you would be fu**ing DEAD, WOO-O!"
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby gubr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:41 am

Nemo wrote:That's WOW, i'd love to read them on paper, but unfortunately I've no idea on languages other than polish, english and german :( so I guess I'll have to stay with eBooks...

Just finished it today in the evening. This book drives me in a whirlpool of thoughts - I can't decide whether Red Schuhart made a mistake when he threw the boy in the anomaly or that was the only way for him... His life was so complicated an so simple...

I think no matter what he did his best to survive there... not in the Zone only, but also in the world surrounding it... And not simply survive, but survive with honer or something...

Whirlpool of thoughts...

Not an average mood for me...
gubr
I-project

Postby Red Schuhart » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 am

Red had to let Burbridge's son go first, so that the Meat Grinder would be occupied when he passed it.

But it is left up to the reader to imagine what wishes he put to the Golden Ball.

He could easily have wished for Arthur to be returned whole and alive, as well as wishing his daughter, Monkey, was as wholly human as he was himself.

He could even have done a 'Marked One' false ending and wished for the Zone to disappear.

Unfortunately there are seven 'zones' in the novel.

Looks like a very interesting copy, Gubr. I see it also has an ISBN (International Standard Book Number). I wasn't sure if those were being used in Russia, especially as it was still the U.S.S.R. (C.C.C.P.) in 1989.

Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Nemo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 am

Everytime I hear "Golden Ball" I have "The Sphere" movie with Dustin Hoffman, in front of my eyes... And I always wonder why the heck GSC made such a crappy monolith crystal a wishgranter instead of huge, liquid-like, shiny sphere...
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Somebody please don't kill me for spam and off topic...

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Old book talk?Hmmm...I think I have a pretty old encyclopedia of mathematics around here somewhere.Oh,here it is
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1841/dsc00112ke0.jpg
Oh,and here's a wordsworth book of horror stories-not really old but inside it looks like it's been through ww2
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9532/dsc00113cp0.jpg
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Red Schuhart » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Just a note on the use of the word 'old' when speaking of books....

'Modern First Editions' begin at about 1700.

'Old Books' from maybe 1500 to 1700.

'Ancient Books' anything before 1500 (hand-drawn, not printed).

Your math book looks like one of the Larousse Encyclopedia range. Definitely 20th century. The other one appears to be a paperback which is probably published by Wordsworth (the publisher, not the poet) in the 1960s or 70s.

Another word that is misused a lot is 'unique'. This means only one copy anywhere.

'Rare' means there may be as many as 10 in existence.
Few know, and I'm not telling.
Red Schuhart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:21 pm

Hmm...I think I saw a "modern" book only once and it was somewhere around my grandma's house...Definetely 18th century...Gonna look around for it,see if I can give you a pic of it
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Nemo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Red meant that modern STARTED at about 1700 so from 1700 to the present moment. :D
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Nemo wrote:Red meant that modern STARTED at about 1700 so from 1700 to the present moment. :D

That's what I said,modern.
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Nemo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:19 pm

yeah, but you said that you saw a modern book only once which is impossible, because every book that was printed after the year 1700 is modern... got it? ;)
Nemo
Moderator & I-project

Postby AfterburnzzPX » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:27 pm

OK,now I see my mistake,I have a basic grasp of English...Well,I saw a book from the 17-18 century and that's sure.I don't know what it was,only that it's covers were as dusty as my SEVA in the bar stash
AfterburnzzPX
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic