How do you edit .db files?

General talk about Lost Alpha dream project

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

How do you edit .db files?

Postby Doctor FoX » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Simple question really, I would like to change some stuff, mainly weight limit and restore sprint to SHOC levels.

I heard that you need some sort of unpacker but I am unsure what to use, is it possible to extract the files to form something like creatures/actor.ltx or system.ltx?

Thanks
The Zone is as rewarding as it is unforgiving, Stalker...
Veteran medic of Freedom
Doctor FoX

Re: How do you edit .db files?

Postby windebieste » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 am

It looks like the SDK will be released shortly.

When that becomes available, I would expect an up to date Unpacker to be included as part of the tool set. After all, the SDK is aimed at modding the game and to do so, you will need access to the assets and to unlock these critical components, you will need an Unpacker.
windebieste

Postby Doctor FoX » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks, i'll wait for it =]
The Zone is as rewarding as it is unforgiving, Stalker...
Veteran medic of Freedom
Doctor FoX

Postby picartman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 pm

So if I want to edit things such as the alpha.ltx to adjust run speed, I have to wait for this SDK to be released? I don't have any of those .ltx files in my install directory.
picartman

Postby dez » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:00 pm

SDK is not for editing database files. SDK is a development kit, which we used to create the models, levels, effects for the game.

If you want to unpack the database files, you should look for a database unpacker tool. Since we never wanted to unpack what we packed (for what), we never made unpackers, but they are available since 2007 in the modding communities.

A simple one:
http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker/down ... r-mod-tool

Or a more advanced one which can convert textures, models and whatnot:
http://xray.codeplex.com/releases/view/67522

Make sure you read the readme! :)

Why we packed the configs and scripts? I will be honest, Every game ships with a clean install, and you can not imagine how many mails were sent to us about the unpacked gamedata. What to do with it? why is it there? and so on. People kept on editing files randomly, which sometimes crashed the game, and we got the black soup, and requested us to fix the bugs generated by their lack of knowledge in changing files. Since LA was/is an early access game, we had more than enough trouble to fix the real bugs, which werent caused by edited files, or installed mods over the original game. Everything started to slip out of our control, so we decided to pack the files, and create a clean game with the 2nd patch. The second reason was to help modders and reduce the "fuuuu" effect of players, who installed mods on LA, and when they wanted to remove or change the mod, they had to reinstall the game (unless -1 to 5% of them thought about that- they made a backup of the gamedata dir before they started to install stuff over it). Now only modders edit the files, and if they release a mod for LA which contains gamedata dir, it will be easy to install or remove, their files wont get mixed up with the retail LA files.
:drinkers:
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Lost Alpha