Multiplayer Campaign Feature/Mod and Predator Cloak

Requests and Suggestions

Moderators: jwknaggs, CruxMDQ, Nemo

Multiplayer Campaign Feature/Mod and Predator Cloak

Postby gordan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:01 am

Since there seem to be experienced modders here, I thought I'd ask. Any chance of a Multi-player campaign mod? Perhaps something like the Doom 3 coop mod that tricks the game into starting a single-team team-deathmatch game with the campaign as the level? I don't really care if all NPC dialogue has to be done by a primary player character, but it'd be really nice to have some scope for coop team tactics against an enemy base - e.g. an attack in the dark on the bandit base at Dark Valley with a couple of snipers with Dragunovs on the watch-towers with a couple of team-mates moving in for shorter range combat to flush out the enemies into the open and highlight their positions to the snipers.

Also a blood-sucker skin mod for the SEVA suit (Predator SEVA?) would be awesome for sneakyness (e.g. if it were to adjust visual detection range to 0m in the dark or 10m in daylight). Could this be done?
gordan

Re: Multiplayer Campaign Feature/Mod and Predator Cloak

Postby dez » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 am

coop is not possible to be done with xray engine.

(if you ask why, i wont reply :D had to write this down more than enough times :))

about invisible stuff, well its possible, but it does not affect the npc detection (no matter, they will still see you). it also does not visible in fps mode, only if you switch to 3rd person. i dont think it worth this way.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Postby gordan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

Last I heard multi-player campaign was implemented by someone, but the AI design made the game crash whenever an NPC dialogue was initiated. Is it not possible to replace the offending functionality with something less lame than what GSC put in? I've seen some half-hearted attempts at an explanation, but nothing that gave a reasonable technical reason.

Having said all that, I don't think very highly of GSC developers, so such an epic and wide reaching limitation isn't too surprising. They have managed to produce a game engine that runs slower than Crysis while using deferred rendering which makes AA impossible to do sensibly, and at the same time using mono-planar mapped textures for most things which looks attrocious (look at tufts of grass from above to see what I mean here - game engines 3-4 years older (e.g. Titan Quest) used better approaches and ran on hardware 3-4x less advanced). Not to mention the folieage distance rendering that makes grass suddenly sprout out of plain brown ground textures as you run toward it.

</rant> ;)

On the subject of the bloodsucker skin, could it not be done with adjusting the visual spot range? I seem to remember seeing a mod that adjusts enemy alerting distance to very short for night conditions (which also makes the player instantly detectable at long distances if they use a torch). Could this not be done the same way? And in terms of rendering, why would the player not be rendered the same way? Was it a feature of the renderer, or was it a case of replacing the textures with transparent ones? Or something else? I'm curious about how it was done, and what feature of the way it was done makes it unimplementable in player equipment.
gordan

Postby Bobandy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 am

gordan wrote:Not to mention the folieage distance rendering that makes grass suddenly sprout out of plain brown ground textures as you run toward it.

Not arguing with you necessarily, but plenty of games with advanced rendering engines, including Crysis, have issues with "object popping." Stalker might have it particularly bad, but just sayin'. :wink:
Bobandy

Postby gordan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:02 am

Indeed, I am aware that it happens in Crysis, too, but I have never noticed it there except at the beginning of the benchmark run where rocks pop up during the freefall. In Stalker it is right in your face all the time.
gordan

Postby dez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm

im just glad that grass is the only thing which rendered around actor in 100m circle .

the rest is ok, if you set the view distance :D about grass... it had to be limited, because it slows down the game drastically.

i dont have good laptop, it has dual core cpu at 2ghz, 3g ram, and ati hd3470 with 256mb... and it runs fine on static lightning at max settings.

i have some tweaked dll, which allows to make the grass more dense than default (note, it does not set the rendering distance, only the density)

in soc you can set from 0.6 to 0.3 (the lower the number is, the better it is) and with the tweaked dll, you can set to 0.05 that means you will have 1fps or less :)
with 0.1 i have around 8-10 fps...

the healthy value is somewhat 0.18- 0.22. then its dense enough and still not damn slow.

i just try to say, that if they would double the rendering distance, that would be pretty similar as if you would play with 0.15 instead of 0.30 (thats the highest density value in soc and in all other stalker games) and that would mean slowdowns... if you had 50fps before, then you would have 20-30... grass in xray has too many "features" and probably not well optimised.
dez0wave developer
dez
dez0wave developer

Return to Requests